Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting me speedy

Re: Getting me speedy

More training all round sounds like the ticket to me. I wouldn't worry about doing specific "speed" sessions yet although it may be very beneficial to train in a group. They are the top half of the cake - if you are worried still about weight then basically more running all round will make a real difference. If you can't keep up off road then practice!! Run off road more if you can.
    Doing more formal sessions can be very difficult if you don't have the training foundation to back it up so make sure you follow the sensible advice above and don't overdo it too early and you should be able to improve nicely.

Finally, best of luck.
    Leeds City AC: "Pure Sporting Delight"

Master and MR

right Egglet if last week you did that 4 mile run in 36mins
    wot are you going to try and do it in this week

i suggest you use this regular 4 mile run each week and try to better your time ,
    dont bother with reps yet just try and do this run quicker
    we await your next run
    cmon try and take a bit of time off it
    your not a lazy cow you just need to push a bit harder, seems like you want to so cmon , one faster session a week to start off , try and focus on something whilst your pushin it , and you will soon speed up .
    let us know your time
    yeah
    daz

I'm not sure that longer stride length is necessarily a way to go faster - technique is a personal thing to an extent but I think I'm right to say that generally stride frequency is more important.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

dont forget to rest in between hard sessions, 2 tough sessions per week and a long run

OK Daz.. that sounds like a good way to start to me so your on.. I should be able to give that 4miles a whizz Weds morning this week so will report back after that

Track Fairy - I'm marathon training at the moment so am at the top of more running - squeeze them in as much as I can.. this time I've managed to move up to 50-60mile weeks.. the past 5 weeks and avg of 55 miles over the weeks with a longish mid week (10-13) and long run Saturday's (20-22). I'm running every day pretty much although a couple of those days are what I'd class as recovery run's so they're not flat out

I run in a club off road Weds night and then the rest is on my own due to personal commitments. Might be time for me to find a speedy partner who can run when I can run
    Wants to see the Old Fella again SOON!

It's hard doing speed work on your own - but here's what I used to do
    In the local park I found an uphill incline and measured out 200m approx
    Then belted up it flat out (note the time)
    Then once a week I did a session of reps up it at 90% of my max
    ie if your best time is 45sec then do the reps in 50sec
    Walk down to recover and try for 5 to 6 to begin with gradually building up to 10 to 12 - when you can manage this, time a flat out effort again - it should have improved.
    Set yourself some achievable targets for the season - and keep a diary
    If you do this for a few years you'll find yourself achieving goals that today
    you'd class as 'pipedreams' - I know, because it worked for me.
    If you need any more help just ask

Good tips.. thanks!!

Track Fairy - ref the weight - I 've worked out my own system using the main food groups of Core plan at wibbley's (Weight Watchers) - but when I'm marathon training my body seems to play tricks like retain water and stuff so as hard as I try it becomes a mine field.. I seriously want to be back at a lower weight before my marathon cos it's affecting my long runs and I'm sure I will benefit off road with a lighter frame

Oh dear... after all the good intensions this week's turning into a big downer... I think I'm at the edge of cold again or in the midst of a head cold.. feel crap today - and low and useless and all that goes with being a begginer wanting to get to intermediate!!

Fed up

Quote Originally Posted by Egglett View Post
    feel crap today - and low and useless and all that goes with being a begginer wanting to get to intermediate!!

Fed up
    Don't want to disappoint you but being quicker won't make that go away!

its just your preception will be different!

The 9 min milers think they'll be happy if they can do 8 min miles!

The 8 min miles.......you get the idea!

We all want to run faster!

Just keep at it!

Can't remember, have you got a garmin?

You can set up interval sessions on that if you can't make it down to the track!

Thanks Calf.. I know your right - just having a right downer.. think because I've always trained on my own I thought I was doing ok, but coming into a club where everyone's stunningly better than you has been a knock.. this week I'm a moaning bint because I've got a headcold and probably need a day off and a good sleep!

I need to add a speed session and get some practical in instead of dreaming and moaning dont I!