Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Getting me speedy

Re: Getting me speedy

Quote Originally Posted by Egglett View Post
    Thanks Calf.. I know your right - just having a right downer.. think because I've always trained on my own I thought I was doing ok, but coming into a club where everyone's stunningly better than you has been a knock.. this week I'm a moaning bint because I've got a headcold and probably need a day off and a good sleep!

I need to add a speed session and get some practical in instead of dreaming and moaning dont I!
    Cheer up egg

I'm always towards the back on a club run, but since joining a club last year it has improved me no end, don't get me wrong i'm still right at the back at a race but atleast i'm enjoying it and can take part in them now where as I just couldn't have entered last year because i couldn't have done the distance, so another year and who knows. Running with others faster than you really pushes you.

Master and MR

Thanks Calf.. I know your right - just having a right downer.. think because I've always trained on my own I thought I was doing ok, but coming into a club where everyone's stunningly better than you has been a knock.. this week I'm a moaning bint because I've got a headcold and probably need a day off and a good sleep!

I need to add a speed session and get some practical in instead of dreaming and moaning dont I!

egglett your doin fine , dont put yourself down to much
    it will come , it will come
    just time thats all
    your just gonna come good in time
    be a bit more positive , your young, your runnin and gettin out there
    well done

Egglett, you are doing well, the runs that you have been doing with us on wednesday nights are not easy runs, they can be pretty fast at times, but you're running out of your comfort zone which will help improve your speed.

See you on wednesday

I love it when people tell me I'm young - Daz that's a comfort!!
    Thanks guy's... I'm having a crappy week and I'm realizing I'm being a bit too hard on myself at this stage

Yes - I'll be there Weds Sir!
    Wants to see the Old Fella again SOON!

but coming into a club where everyone's stunningly better than you has been a knock.. this week I'm a moaning bint because I've got a headcold and probably need a day off and a good sleep!
    too true. you may need a day or so off, to let the cold start to clear

as for club runs.... you should enjoy them as well as get something out of them. many people treat club runs as races against certain rivals, thus pushing the pace up in general

stick with it though, as we all have downers now and then...i know i do... during training/racing/resting/working etc etc.....now i'm sounding like some moaning bint
    Hard Work, Hard Training and Suffering...Race Easy

Quote Originally Posted by Epocian View Post
    In the local park I found an uphill incline and measured out 200m approx
    Then belted up it flat out (note the time)
    Then once a week I did a session of reps up it at 90% of my max
    ie if your best time is 45sec then do the reps in 50sec
    Walk down to recover and try for 5 to 6 to begin with gradually building up to 10 to 12 - when you can manage this, time a flat out effort again - it should have improved.
    I do a similar session where the effort is downhill and the rest is the walk back to the top. Seems to help out and the walking up hill is handy practice for all those 'unrunnable hills'.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyBoy View Post
    I do a similar session where the effort is downhill and the rest is the walk back to the top. Seems to help out and the walking up hill is handy practice for all those 'unrunnable hills'.
    is that a off road hill or a road hill??

Quote Originally Posted by Penguin View Post
    is that a off road hill or a road hill??
    It varies.

Sometimes road but mainly off-road on grass slope or rockier terrain, mainly as Snowdon Race training

I've found the various methods and systems quite difficult to do and then keep doing.

Then I read about the 111 method. Once a week, one mile at one min fatser than normal time. A warm up mile and a warm down mile (or two) makes it a nice short session.

It got my (slow) legs faster and the end of race thrash seemed a bit more controlled.

just a thought on this. before races , a taper is good , i don't always if the race is really a training run, but if one wants a good time then a taper is essential. I'm sure i am telling u how to suck eggs here , for that i apologise