Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Alcohol & Running

Re: Alcohol & Running

It's nearly 5 o'clock, there's no Crackerjack. I'm feeling thirsty. Time to start the post-Edale, pre-Blubberhouses 25 hydration schedule.

Anyway, injury advice, what's your view on the subject?

IanDP, was it the mysterious Rescue Ale I've been told about, but have never seen? I'd have stayed longer if I'd known you were prone to dropping a case.

I did note that having a few pints did not seem to hinder Eddy Izard on his multi marathon travels. Anyway, I`ve not got time for this as I`m off to the pub.....

dull and boring, but everything in moderation.... except running and Thornbridge Jaipur!

I probably fall over more from running than drinking
    Hills - good for the soul...
    http://honestsstories.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by nikalas View Post
    everything in moderation....
    I agree but if you follow this to it logical conclusion then...

everything in moderation; including moderation it's self. This means therefore, that at times there must be excess!

I wonder how many tee-total fell runners are reading this and not daring to put their heads above the parapet because heavy drinking is cool and manly.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Quote Originally Posted by simgreen78 View Post
    On a more serious note, I was reading an article a couple of weeks ago that was putting forward a link between pale ales and increased bone strength in runners. I'll try and find it again.

I have also heard mention of ale being of benefit to distance and fell runners as it assists in the release of a particular type of enzyme required to function more effectively during exercise. As i say I got that info third hand so can't be more specific.

Needless to say in light of the above, I did some serious training at the Ilkley Beer Festival a few weeks ago .

Also, please note the use of the word 'ale'. Not lager. Eeeuugh.
    You may have something there.

I will put both hands in the air and admit I'm a poncey southern larger drinker. BUT my mate from Essex is not. In fact he has a penchant for Guinness and left an eight pack in my fridge on his last visit up here.

To cut to the chase, I ran out of lager and fancied a beer and was forced to try a Guinness, something that I haven't done for about 15 years. To my amazement I enjoyed it and have been making steady progress through the 8 pack over the last week.

What was the point to this? Ah yes, last night was my best hill session for ages, ran up two steep 'uns, no sorry sprinted up 'em, in the rain, in the mud, quickest I've ever done them and amazed myself.

Its got to be the Guinness.

I'm going to go and get one now.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    I wonder how many tee-total fell runners are reading this and not daring to put their heads above the parapet because heavy drinking is cool and manly.
    Most runners I know aren't especially heavy drinkers but do enjoy a pint or two, that's all. Where's it say anything about heavy drinking?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post

Heavy drinking is not cool or manly, so tee-total runners are more than welcome to comment. My father was tee-total and I respected him greatly for it, so I feel I have no prejudices in that regard.
    My serious point is that decent beer is very important to a lot of distance runners in terms of nutrition and relaxation. It's an important part of the culture in my opinion.
    I'm also keen to hear what injury advice has to say,as I was worried he was about to start flogging a 12 step recovery programme to people who enjoy a pint or three after a hard race.

Once Set a course record After & good night out was still drunk at the start someone had to drive me to the race. 3years later Nick peach Broke it by 45 seconds Sober, Did me in for 3 days