Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2010 Championship

Re: 2010 Championship

"simply having to get round" !
    Even as we speak, hordes of irate girls are approaching Wharfedale .........
    Seek sanctuary quickly, emigrate, feign death, do something.

Understand your point, but in the end is anything fair? This method of including 3 from any category seems to maximise the number of clubs who can contest the championship without giving advantage to the club with the most runners, and reflects relative performance in each category. Our test based on 2009 gave out the clubs to be expected; I think Helm Hill 'won' with Tom Doyle and Mel Hyder contributing most points (I think). Leigh would have been leading contenders but only had two girls running all year.
    There is only one award, so overall it's the leading runners in each category, who will be influencing the final result. Doesn't mean to say the rules are set in stone, so we'll see how this year works out.
    Last edited by FellJunior; 29-03-2010 at 10:53 AM.
    Going downhill fast - until I fell over

Quote Originally Posted by FellJunior View Post
    "simply having to get round" !
    Yes thats what he said.

Another girl could have turned up who has never run before, just joined a club, and gain alot of points for her club for coming 6th, whereas a boy would have to be pretty good to come 6th.
    But i agree the system will always have its downsides

Smile Re: 2010 Championship

Who are peoples favourites for the team award?

Mine would be:
    1.Helm Hill
    2.Wharfedale
    3.CFR

Quote Originally Posted by FellRunner1 View Post
    Another girl could have turned up who has never run before, just joined a club, and gain a lot of points for her club for coming 6th, whereas a boy would have to be pretty good to come 6th.
    But i agree the system will always have its downsides
    Theory is fine, but the key is to look at the number of runners typically available from each club. There is a very different profile compared to the senior championships. The implication of previous posts is that girls should be excluded or have their own championship. There are very few clubs, who can consistently supply 3 boys and (any?) 3 girls. Therefore it becomes a pointless contest again, dominated by the club with the most runners as opposed to the best runners. Having 2 to count tends to shift the emphasis away from the club and its support and coaching structure for juniors to talented individuals, who happen to belong to the same club.
    At the moment the front of each age category is strongly contested i.e. more than "having to get round". To repeat, there is only one award, so generally the club with the most top 3 places in the 18 results to count will win, which hopefully will also be the club most active in developing and improving its junior fell section.
    But at least we now have a club championship to monitor and review at the end of the season. Under the previous method, there were years, when bizarrely no club was eligible.

i think overall the 'club championship' is a great idea that will hopefully increase turnouts from so called 'smaller' clubs. any extra competition is always a good thing!!!

only question is:

1. Do you need 3 different people to score or could 1 runner from a club count for all 3 scores?

2. How will a tie be separated?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by running View Post
    1. Do you need 3 different people to score or could 1 runner from a club count for all 3 scores?
    2. How will a tie be separated?
    1) Up to 3 runners will count, so if only one from a club runs at a race, his/her points will still be counted, but only once.
    2) We'll deal with a tie for 1st overall if it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by FellJunior View Post
    1) Up to 3 runners will count, so if only one from a club runs at a race, his/her points will still be counted, but only once.
    2) We'll deal with a tie for 1st overall if it happens.

thanks, makes more sense now!

I imagine a tie could be sorted by the simple rule that if one of the clubs is Yorkshire then they win. If they are both Yorkshire then they both win
    "Moors are a stage for the performance of heaven"

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Clash City Rocker View Post
    I imagine a tie could be sorted by the simple rule that if one of the clubs is Yorkshire then they win. If they are both Yorkshire then they both win
    Thats all fair........TBH i think we can win (Issy, Max and someone else Edan or Luka)
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

As a Staffordshire man, who emigrated to Lancashire, that seems an entirely logical point of view for a Yorkshire man.