Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How to train over 60/65/70 ?

How to train over 60/65/70 ?

I would really appreciate advice from older runners on training. I never know if I'm running slowly because I'm over-training / under-training / old / always was a slow runner anyway.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Re: How to train over 60/65/70

I'm just 52 but I train regularly with runners in the 60 to 67 bracket, several of whom are in the top 3 or 4 fell runners in the country for their category and can show me a clean pair of heels if they so wish. I believe they don't train any differently to younger runners, though I've noticed they're more careful to stretch and warm down so as to avoid injury.
    Without knowing how you train or how you run, it's impossible to say whether you're under or over-trained. I've always preferred to under-train though, as the safer option. Over-training can leave permanent damage.

As for speed, if you always train at the same speed, then that is your running speed.
    Take your race distance as a mid-point, then once a week run say 25% further at a slower pace (long slow distance) and once a week run half the distance at a faster pace. If you're really serious, insert a session of interval work (eg 5 x 800 metres)
    Last edited by Brotherton Lad; 27-03-2010 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brotherton Lad View Post
    I'm just 52 but I train regularly with runners in the 60 to 67 bracket, several of whom are in the top 3 or 4 fell runners in the country for their category and can show me a clean pair of heels if they so wish.
    Thanks, but I don't think I can hope to model myself on top fell runners, rather on bottom ones who nonetheless manage to keep going. I think you're right about not over-training - I fear one gets more fragile and takes longer to recover with age.

On the contrary, the principles of training are the same for everybody, the only differences are in scale, frequency, tempo and similar variables.
    A coach would need to know what you are doing now and what your aims are for your running.

The building blocks are:

Long slow distance
    Speedwork
    Hillwork
    Stretching and avoiding injury
    Rest
    Food and drink

The devil, of course, is in the detail.
    Last edited by Brotherton Lad; 27-03-2010 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    I would really appreciate advice from older runners on training. I never know if I'm running slowly because I'm over-training / under-training / old / always was a slow runner anyway.
    Don't be scared to run and don't be scared to train. My dad is 70 and runs every other day on the days he isn't running he goes to the gym and works on the exercise bike and rowing machine. He was World Mountain Running Champion in Keswick v65 and the day before he did a short hill session, don't be scared of working hard, just listen to what your body is telling you.

Without knowing what you are doing now and what you want to acheive it is hard to advise.

Debbie

the only differences are in scale, frequency, tempo and similar variables.
    Those are the sort of differences I had in mind. I read about one successful elderly runner who had reached the point of ONLY running one race per week, with virtually no training in between. Theoretically, I aim to do a run or long walk every other day, alternating with upper body weight training sessions. Actually, I do much less, partly because I just get too tired to run effectively, so miss sessions. I sometimes wonder if I would get less tired if I ran MORE often, maybe just briefly, so my body would remember better what it is supposed to be doing. Or alternatively I could give in and run every 3rd day, in the hopes of being less tired and making each session a really good one.

I'd ask first why you're doing the weight training?
    Are you tired from weight training or from running?
    Do you have a regular easy day or a recovery run?
    Do you intend to race?
    Are you doing all this training by yourself?

Another good training rule of thumb is:

Hard day, easy day.
    Hard week, easy week.

It's a matter of finding the balancing point between not doing enough and doing too much, so that you get a positive training effect.

I'm off out now and on the Blubberhouses 25 in the morning, so I'll probably pick up again tomorrow afternoon.
    Last edited by Brotherton Lad; 27-03-2010 at 08:44 PM.

The building blocks are:

Long slow distance
    Speedwork
    Hillwork
    Stretching and avoiding injury
    Rest
    Food and drink
    Did I over-look this bit of advice, or did you just add it?

The most obvious thing I can hope to change is rest - I often don't get enough, sit up posting here when I should be getting ready for bed.

Another possible mistake is that I tend to roll speedwork, hills and lsd into one, partly because my speed is so feeble anyway, I can hardly go any slower, and running on the flat doesn't seem much of a preparation for fell running.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrenees Haven View Post
    Don't be scared to run and don't be scared to train. My dad is 70 and runs every other day on the days he isn't running he goes to the gym and works on the exercise bike and rowing machine. He was World Mountain Running Champion in Keswick v65 and the day before he did a short hill session, don't be scared of working hard, just listen to what your body is telling you.

Without knowing what you are doing now and what you want to acheive it is hard to advise.

Debbie
    I wish I were in your dad's league, but I'm nowhere near. The trouble with listening to one's body, it's rather like listening to a small baby cry, you know there's something wrong but just wish it could talk and tell you what.

I must go to bed now - I know one of my big mistakes is not getting enough sleep. Thanks very much for your response - I'll write more tomorrow.

I'm off out now and on the Blubberhouses 25 in the morning, so I'll probably pick up again tomorrow afternoon.
    Have a great day - it's a good forecast.