Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to train over 60/65/70 ?

Re: How to train over 60/65/70

My advice: run for fun.
    Things are always getting in the way so I just take every opportunity to run. Some weeks I don't get the opportunity at all others I might run two races. Sleep I agree is the one thing I don't get enough of. I don't climb enough either and that would sort a lot of core and flexibility issues.
    "I am not a number! I am a free man!"

This is my first year back to fell running and I knew that at my age (55) it was going to be a hard re-entry. Most things I do in my life are pretty unstructured but, in this case, I reckoned that having a better thought-out approach would be more likely to succeed. So here's the stages I went through:

1. I had a good hard think about whether I was prepared to go through the tiredness and pain that would inevitably be a feature of unaccustomed hard work. I came to the conclusion that I wanted the reward enough.

2. I set myself a big target a long way ahead (1 year to get to completing a 50 mile ultra)

3. I sorted out a 4 month programme of building strength, stamina, confidence, kit etc etc. This included joining a club so that not all of my running would be lonely miles.

4. I went through the calendar and looked at a series of events that gradually would build up my ability to handle a 50 miler.

5. I forgot about the 50 miler and I'm now thinking 4 - 5 weeks at a time and asking myself "What do I need to do to be ready for the next event?" That tells me what my training should look like for the next few weeks. I rarely miss much training as I know that I've not got a lot of time before the next event.

This seems to be working for me and I'm pleased with progress. I'm in no way a natural athlete and I have a really busy life outside of running, but I'm looking forward to many more years of being part of an amazing sport.

I think the secret - if there is one - is that you have to get your head into the right place for performance and then it's much easier to get your body to join it
    “The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.”

Geoff Cox Lonsdale Fellrunners

Tinyman, the account of your plan is fascinating and really useful. I'm going to read your schedule lots of times and hope I'll be able to adapt some things in it for myself. Certainly I can see I need to think a lot more about how to make my training work for me.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

All good food for thought. I thoroughly second that this should be enjoyable for you. It already strikes me that it isn't, so something is wrong. If you're always tired then you are probably over-doing it. It's easy to get obsessed with training and fear that if you miss a couple of sessions it's the end of the world. Actually, taking a break is often exactly what you should do. Don't make training a burden.

I'd like to ask a couple of further questions, if I may:

What's your athletic background?

Do you suddenly have more spare time on your hands that you're trying to fill, maybe through retirement or some other major juncture in life?

It's very hard to advise without understanding quite alot of background information, and it's your motivation and ambitions that will drive the training advice that you seek.

Quote Originally Posted by Guick Dotto View Post
    My advice: run for fun.
    Things are always getting in the way so I just take every opportunity to run. Some weeks I don't get the opportunity at all others I might run two races. Sleep I agree is the one thing I don't get enough of. I don't climb enough either and that would sort a lot of core and flexibility issues.
    This rings a bell with me, except for the bit about 2 races in a week! 2 in a year would be lots for me, or ANY actually. I have been reflecting as to what I find fun in running. NOT heather bashing, certainly not roads, I think I'm secretly a trail runner. 2 things I love: my "long" run, currently 8 miles, on undulating springy leaf mould trails and competing, even at the back. So I plan to extend my long run gradually while occasionally doing my local 5k Parkrun and see where I get to - a carefully selected 7 mile fell or trail race? Or, perhaps walking and running a Haworth Hobble. It all depends what my knees etc will tolerate. I think exploration rather than definite goals will suit me best.

Quote Originally Posted by Brotherton Lad View Post

What's your athletic background?

Do you suddenly have more spare time on your hands that you're trying to fill, maybe through retirement or some other major juncture in life?

It's very hard to advise without understanding quite alot of background information, and it's your motivation and ambitions that will drive the training advice that you seek.
    Totally unathletic til my late 20s when I discovered walking, the Lake District and Dales, rock climbing, the Alps and finally Pete & Linda Lord got me running the Langdale in 1980. Had no idea what I was up to, but did things like the High Peak Marathon & Marsden-Edale in 1981, Haworth Hobble & 3 Peaks 1982 (last finisher in 5:3:41, never saw another runner from Penyghent on).

Wildly enthusiastic, didn't know anything, unsurprisingly developed an ankle injury, stopped running.

2000 discovered the LDWA, events, wildly enthusiastic, couldn't resist running when others did, amazed to find my ankle didn't hurt. Began building up some running training, very gingerly. Also discovered long distance walking in France (GRs). 2 trips a year from then on. 2005 fell in the french mountains while carrying a very heavy rucsac, sprained my ankle (yea, I think it was the same one). 2 years of pain even when walking, physios, scans, orthotics, heel pads, ankle pain and plantar fasciitis. 2007 back to walking in the french mountains, but without the heavy rucsac. Back to some running training, but often interrupted. If I have any knee or foot pain I stop running for fear of ruining my next french trip.

So being fit and uninjured for France is my absolute priority. You will understand why I am building up my running very very cautiously, but it is very important to me.

I have all kinds of dreams, from running the 3 Peaks again to improving my PB in my local 5k Parkrun. I have no idea really what is possible for me, I can only edge forward like a snail, prepared to draw back at any moment. I do want to avoid another headlong rush into injury, which is why I am seeking advice.

So far in March 2010 I have done 8 sessions of running, 2 walks and 9 sessions of weight training (upper body). That leaves 8 days when I didn't train, though usually I did walk to town and back (uphill) with a heavy rucsac. Ideally, I would like to fit in some lower body weight training, squats, stepups etc to make my legs stronger for running on rough ground, but I can't see when to do it without making my legs too tired to run properly.

Finally, although I am retired, I am always desperately short of time. I tend to prioritise training and then feel stressed about all the other things that are just not getting done.

Thanks very much for asking.

Super Moderator

Alexandra, your thread makes very interesting reading A half Wharfedale marathon (June) or Yorkshireman (Sept) might make good stepping stones on the way to next year's Hobble

Getting the level of training right is always tricky to gauge either because of ongoing maturing or in my case overseas work travel. Good luck and please keep us posted on progress!
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Thanks, Alexandra, lots for me to ponder.

Never done any grandes routes but have been getting stuck into LDWA events since we came back to Yorkshire last autumn.
    Like you, I've my fair share of injuries to live with (I've run over 32000 miles and have a number of injuries from running and military service). This makes me a real pansy when descending, because I'm frightened of a serious fall. I must be a quite a rarity, a slow downhill runner.
    I can imagine it's pretty hard to find races that fit your ideal; off road, but not too hilly or rocky and about 6 or 7 miles (though actually that sounds exactly like a traditional cross-country race, so that's worth investigating).

I'll ponder, but must go, I've got dinner to prep for the family.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrenees Haven View Post

Without knowing what you are doing now and what you want to acheive it is hard to advise. Debbie
    I have written a sort of reply to this question in response to similar ones from Brotherton Lad and others. My training currently is very small beer - this month so far 31 miles run, 60 minutes cross trainer, 30.6 miles walked. I could do better if only there were not so many other things to do in life. How people manage to work and run and live as well I can't understand.

I am very pleased to hear from you, much enjoyed the piece about racing in the Pyrenees in "Fellrunner". My chosen part of France is to the east - the southern pre-Alps especially the Val d'Allos - I spend weeks there every summer walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Brotherton Lad View Post
    Like you, I've my fair share of injuries to live with (I've run over 32000 miles and have a number of injuries from running and military service). This makes me a real pansy when descending, because I'm frightened of a serious fall. I must be a quite a rarity, a slow downhill runner
    Very comforting to hear you consider yourself a slow descender, as I am absolutely paralytic. Incidentally, the year I did Blubberhouses Moor it was run the other way round. I was walking and running, really let rip down the track from Rocking Hall to the Washburn Valley and tripped, bloodying my leg on the loose stones and, more importantly, smashing my Polar HRM! From then on I was regarded with horror and awe by checkpoint marshalls. Also, I hadn't understood the effect a long downhill like that can have on relatively untrained legs. Once I reached Thrushcross, everything seized up, and women with whom I had been competing just went away and left me to limp sloooowly painfully stiffly home.