Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to train over 60/65/70 ?

Re: How to train over 60/65/70

I am 48,the best bit of running advise i received was from the great coach Frank Horwill .
    He told me,"When over 40 run every other day.but when you do run, run hard".
    I was running well untill I forgot this advise and upped the training to 6 days a week, result,a year of with planter faceitis.
    Now I am back on the long road to fitness, and until i hang my shoes up it will be a run every other day.
    I try to build up to this,
    Day 1 9 miles hill run ,hard on hills
    Day 2 One hour run middle section 20 min tempo.
    Day 3 One hour hill /fell run
    Day 4 work up to 2 hours hill fell run
    repeat.
    I will never be a top runner but this gets me fit enoughto compete and with a young family allows me to take my turn with the chores etc.
    PS
    Yoga on the rest days

Bruce Tulloh has written a book on the subject. I keep meaning to buy a copy now I'm getting old and decrepit,

http://www.tullohbooks.com/tb_books.html

Edit: Amazon have got second hand copies for £1-43.
    Last edited by dominion; 28-03-2010 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by A.P.E Knott View Post
    I am 48,the best bit of running advise i received was from the great coach Frank Horwill .
    He told me,"When over 40 run every other day.but when you do run, run hard".
    I was running well untill I forgot this advise and upped the training to 6 days a week, result,a year of with planter faceitis.
    Now I am back on the long road to fitness, and until i hang my shoes up it will be a run every other day.
    I try to build up to this,
    Day 1 9 miles hill run ,hard on hills
    Day 2 One hour run middle section 20 min tempo.
    Day 3 One hour hill /fell run
    Day 4 work up to 2 hours hill fell run
    repeat.
    I will never be a top runner but this gets me fit enoughto compete and with a young family allows me to take my turn with the chores etc.
    PS
    Yoga on the rest days
    This is really useful, as it is a development of what I have been doing - alternating days of upper body weights and running. Recently I broke this rule and did, day 1: a 36 minute session which I cut short due to feeling too tired; day 2: a 60 minute session which went well; day3: a 15.6 mile walk in Calderdale (lots of steep ups and downs). By the end of the walk my knee was hurting (a chronic threat). I guess under training really is better than over training. It's hard, though not to grab the good weather days when bad ones are forecast.

I sympathise about the dreaded plantar fasciitis. To this day every morning I massage and stretch my feet in the hopes of discouraging it from coming back.

If I can ever manage to work up to something like your programme, I shall expect to be running really well!
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Alexandra

We are back in England for a few weeks in April and are house sitting in Rawdon. If you fancy a run and a chat and can make it over to Otley we can have a jog round the Chevin. I'll get my dad over as he only lives in Gargrave and we'll see if we can't point you in a new running direction.

I've spent many months in the Alps so can understand why you make being fit for your trips a priority.

Debbie

www.pyrenees-haven.coom

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrenees Haven View Post
    Alexandra

We are back in England for a few weeks in April and are house sitting in Rawdon. If you fancy a run and a chat and can make it over to Otley we can have a jog round the Chevin. I'll get my dad over as he only lives in Gargrave and we'll see if we can't point you in a new running direction.
    That's a wonderful offer, but I have to warn you that I am a seriously slow runner. Off road, I fear we might be talking 12 minute miles or worse. Maybe you could walk while I ran? At least I would be a good listener - no breath to argue with your good advice!

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    Bruce Tulloh has written a book on the subject. I keep meaning to buy a copy now I'm getting old and decrepit,

http://www.tullohbooks.com/tb_books.html

Edit: Amazon have got second hand copies for £1-43.
    Thanks v much. Have just ordered it direct from Green Metropolis £3.75 post free.

My first running book was Tulloh's "Complete Jogger". It has a wonderful b&w photo of a chap in a flat 'at and what looks like sturdy leather work boots running uphill amidst patches of snowy heather, a northern looking valley in the back ground below. Available from Amazon for 1p + £2.75. There is also a picture of a stout fellow running with his arm in a sling. Not much change since 1979 there, then.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    That's a wonderful offer, but I have to warn you that I am a seriously slow runner. Off road, I fear we might be talking 12 minute miles or worse. Maybe you could walk while I ran? At least I would be a good listener - no breath to argue with your good advice!
    We are free w/c 19th April with the exception of the Saturday and Sunday so just let me know if you would like to meet up.

Debbie

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrenees Haven View Post
    We are free w/c 19th April with the exception of the Saturday and Sunday so just let me know if you would like to meet up. Debbie
    Yes I'd really love that. I'm retired, so can make it any time. Will pm you my email and tel. no.

Bruce Tulloh now lives in Wiltshire close to where we were till September. He had a prediliction for standing at the top of the steepest climb at local races with a sadistic smile on his face. Hated him for it, though I hear he's very nice to his cats.

Quote Originally Posted by Brotherton Lad View Post
    I can imagine it's pretty hard to find races that fit your ideal; off road, but not too hilly or rocky and about 6 or 7 miles (though actually that sounds exactly like a traditional cross-country race, so that's worth investigating).
    I was slightly wondering about the Coiners in May.