with the start line situated on a quiet side road on the edge of Telford, it didn't feel like fell racing territory. But seeing the all-time list of times on this race, featuring names like Wild, Wilde, Kinch, Bailey, Bland, Norman, Devine.... Told me that this was a race with a great pedigree and history.

After last weeks exertions at Haworth I really felt rusty, but it's the trial for the inter counties so I thought I had better turn up and give it my all.

Top runner Ross Campbell turned up with a dozen mates from the RAF for their first fell races, to raise money for an injured colleague. They were all in fancy dress, which resulted in celebrities such as Rambo, Superman, Mario, Batman, gracing the starting line. I had a titanic battle with Snow White during the second half of the race, finally losing out on the final descent. But witnessed a fantastic sprint finish between Boris Johnson and a giant hotdog.

As for the race, a departure from my usual long races, 5.5 miles. Some real steep sections, notably the lower half of the Wrekin itself. The undulating summit ridge goes on for much further than expected on the way up. Generally a great surface for the speed merchants, although a few handily placed trees no doubt caused some alarm on the descents. Slogged my way up in 30mins, and a fast return the same way in 21mins. A time which would have seen me pushing the top 20 last year, but only good enough for 44th today, with it being the county champs for Shropshire, and inter counties trial for 3 counties.

Found out that my ascending is about comparable to where I usually find myself in the field. However my descending on the steep stuff got exposed today, in the fast 'A' races it is still very poor.

Great course, plenty of supporters on the course and the marshals as always were great.

As for the inter counties, I was 4th in Warwickshire, whether enough to see me through, I'm not sure. If it does, avoiding dead last at Moel Elio would be an undoubted high point.

Pete