Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wrekin Fell Race - Piccies

with the start line situated on a quiet side road on the edge of Telford, it didn't feel like fell racing territory. But seeing the all-time list of times on this race, featuring names like Wild, Wilde, Kinch, Bailey, Bland, Norman, Devine.... Told me that this was a race with a great pedigree and history.

After last weeks exertions at Haworth I really felt rusty, but it's the trial for the inter counties so I thought I had better turn up and give it my all.

Top runner Ross Campbell turned up with a dozen mates from the RAF for their first fell races, to raise money for an injured colleague. They were all in fancy dress, which resulted in celebrities such as Rambo, Superman, Mario, Batman, gracing the starting line. I had a titanic battle with Snow White during the second half of the race, finally losing out on the final descent. But witnessed a fantastic sprint finish between Boris Johnson and a giant hotdog.

As for the race, a departure from my usual long races, 5.5 miles. Some real steep sections, notably the lower half of the Wrekin itself. The undulating summit ridge goes on for much further than expected on the way up. Generally a great surface for the speed merchants, although a few handily placed trees no doubt caused some alarm on the descents. Slogged my way up in 30mins, and a fast return the same way in 21mins. A time which would have seen me pushing the top 20 last year, but only good enough for 44th today, with it being the county champs for Shropshire, and inter counties trial for 3 counties.

Found out that my ascending is about comparable to where I usually find myself in the field. However my descending on the steep stuff got exposed today, in the fast 'A' races it is still very poor.

Great course, plenty of supporters on the course and the marshals as always were great.

As for the inter counties, I was 4th in Warwickshire, whether enough to see me through, I'm not sure. If it does, avoiding dead last at Moel Elio would be an undoubted high point.

Pete

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Top runner Ross Campbell turned up with a dozen mates from the RAF for their first fell races, to raise money for an injured colleague. They were all in fancy dress, which resulted in celebrities such as Rambo, Superman, Mario, Batman, gracing the starting line.
    The first time I ran the Wrekin, there was also a bloke from the RAF running his first fell race (RAF Cosford is quite near the Wrekin). He wasn't in fancy dress, though, but he did seem to enjoy the experience. His name was John Wild, and in the 36 years since that race, no-one has beaten the record he set on that day.

Wrekin Fell Race on sunday postponed as the school/registration have pulled out.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    A good run out this morning at the Wrekin Fell race. Although I've completed the Wrekin Wrecker a few times this was somewhat surprisingly, the first time I've done it given that it's probably the closest race to home.
    I wasn't sure of the route through Ercall so saved a bit but with hindsight, could probably of pushed harder. The first steep descent came as a surprise and also the realisation that it would be a tough climb on the way back. The Wrekin Climb is basically straight up so cuts out the zig zag off the main path- familiar to anyone who has done the Wrecker. I climbed well enough, but my descending let me down again and although I only lost one or two places, I probably also lost a couple of minutes over what I should be capable of.
    Anyway, finished strongly on the Ercall and the run in and still something left in the tank so room for improvement there.
    37th place in 56:42
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Well done Pete....

I see Llani had some stiff competition in the v60 category.

My clubmate Alice Flint, fresh from coming 6th at the British Champs race last weekend, was first lady and 9th overall today.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Well done Pete....

I see Llani had some stiff competition in the v60 category.

My clubmate Alice Flint, fresh from coming 6th at the British Champs race last weekend, was first lady and 9th overall today.
    She must have been the young lady that flew past me heading down as I approached the radio transmitter. Impressive stuff.
    Congrats to Llani on a great placing. Hope he finished well enough for the winter series?
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Just seen the series results. Heaven knows how I managed 22nd but I'll take it.
    Looks like Llani managed to take v60.
    Last edited by PeteS; 03-04-2023 at 07:59 AM.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Yes, i can't seem to link it, but Llani well done on 1st v60 and 10th overall.

I had to make do with 31st overall but only doing three counters.

I really should make the effort to get early counters in.... but too many clashes with XC, and my plans this year to run a 10 mile road race late in the year will blow the 23/24 series for me as well!
    Last edited by Travs; 03-04-2023 at 07:52 AM.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Only 62 runners at the Wrekin. I did this race 6 times in the years when it used to be held on a Saturday afternoon (therefore easy to get to by train), and I had some good runs; but there were usually well over 100 runners in those days.

In the early days, when the FRA fixture list was much thinner, the Wrekin race attracted a fair number of the top fell runners from the North of England. But the first year I did it, some bloke from a nearby RAF base turned up, and beat the likes of Mike Short, Andy Darby and Andy Styan. 43 years later, and we are still waiting for someone to improve on the time that J.Wilde [sic] recorded that day.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I did it in 2016 and there were 100+ racing.

I believe it has been missing from the calendar for a few years, so perhaps needs word to get round again.