Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mearley Clough Race

Mearley Clough Race

Just a quick heads up for this race - Tuesday 10th May 7.15 start from the Calfs Head Worston near Clitheroe (just off the A59). A tough race taking in the famous "Big Dipper " as used by the Tour of Pendle. Free pasta supper courtesy of the pub, what more could you need? Hope to see a good turnout. Full details on Clayton le Moors website.

Brilliant race. Did it last year (with a cold) & had an absolute shocker, been looking forward to doing it again ever since!
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Bump!! Weather looking good for this one tomorrow. Parking is on the finish field, please follow parking marshals instructions and don't park on pub car park or the village.
    Hopefully see you there.

Quote Originally Posted by Also Ran View Post
    Bump!! Weather looking good for this one tomorrow. Parking is on the finish field, please follow parking marshals instructions and don't park on pub car park or the village.
    Hopefully see you there.
    Crackin race well worth doing. Unfortunately cant make it this year.

Hope it all goes well Andy.

Fantastico, magnifico, splendido, brillante......blimey, all that pasta has turned me all Mediterranean like.

Mearley Clough is not merely a fell race it's also a post race gathering of bedraggled fell runners with one thing on their minds...Pasta. Any bystanders who happened to call into the Calfs Head pub at around 8:30pm could've easily thought they'd stumbled across a 'Drop-in centre'. Landlady Pam and the pubs staff serve up one of the best dishes in the race calendar. The warm applause of thanks towards Pam (who tries to hide her embarrassment behind a bouquet of flowers, bless her) shows how much us fell runners appreciate good nosh...Cheers Calfs Head.

First and foremost the food has to be earned and what better a way to work up an appetite than a 'quick' run up a hill. I always try and psych myself up during this race by foolishly thinking the climb is relatively easy.

The run out over fields, farmyard and through the woods ensure the climb is anything but easy, it's bloody tough as I'm already knackered before I've reached the hill....I'm not alone in feeling this way, only race winner Joshua seemed to continue running when the steep stuff arrived. Once at the summit, runaround the cairn swing to the right for a steady ridge run followed by flatout running back to the finish. The barking farmyard sheepdogs didn't seem too happy having 150 runners disturbing their evening nap...twice.

Great race as always. Thanks to fell stalwart Andy Firth for a job well done on taking over organising the race. Cheers to all the marshals scattered about on the well flagged course, even the weather held off.

Arrivederci.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Thanks for the kind words Darren, glad you enjoyed it.
    The pasta supper is certainly a big attraction, shame I didn't find time to get some myself! The race couldn't happen without excellent support from my club mates and the kind permission of the landowners the Brierleys of Worston House and the Farmer Matthew Birtwell. Hope to see similar good numbers next year

Fantastic race, perfect conditions. Can't remember the last time I did a race in weather that good (the Nab doesn't count, ha ha) after the wet/cold winter we've had...massive thanks to all involved, will be back again next year
    http://calferguson.blogspot.co.uk/

Calvin Ferguson - Blackburn Harriers & AC

Darren said it all and eloquently thanks to all the organisers and marshals and of course Pam and her staff. a fantastic evening of "fells and food".

Resurrecting this thread from 2016 to remind everybody what a great event this is ( see Daz Fishwicks kind words after the 2016event.
    This years event is only 5 weeks away - Calf’s Head pub, Worston No Clitheroe for this short steep blast up Pendle Hill, 9th May, 7.15pm start. A bargain at £6 for FRA members. I was slightly disappointed with last years turnout - here’s hoping for a better turnout this year. The weather is normally favourable, pasta supper available and a £100 Pete Bland voucher to be won by a number raffle. What’s not to like? Hopefully see a few of you there.