Thread: Recommendations for bivi bags

Recommendations for bivi bags

Any one got any recommendations for bivi bags? I was planning to get an Alpkit Hunka but they're out of stock for a while. Is the Rab survival zone as waterproof/hardwearing? Is it worth going for a gore tex one? What is the British army one like? Heavy ? Bulky? Any thoughts gratefully received. Ta.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Super Moderator

Re: Recommendations for bivi b

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    Any one got any recommendations for bivi bags? I was planning to get an Alpkit Hunka but they're out of stock for a while. Is the Rab survival zone as waterproof/hardwearing? Is it worth going for a gore tex one? What is the British army one like? Heavy ? Bulky? Any thoughts gratefully received. Ta.
    Might be worth a call or email to Alpkit to see when they will have stock. Their Hunka is great value

Think I saw a Rab bivvy bag at a sale price in Hathersage last weekend. Either Outside or perhaps CCC
    Poacher turned game-keeper

My Hunka is very good. Worth waiting for, if you can.
    http://www.manxfellrunners.org/
    My island is very nice

I borrowed a hunka, drawstring neck is rubbish when its raining i had a choice of not breathing inside the bag or raining bouncing off my swede all night

Quote Originally Posted by N-dubya View Post
    I borrowed a hunka, drawstring neck is rubbish when its raining i had a choice of not breathing inside the bag or raining bouncing off my swede all night

Make sure the opening is on the bottom when its raining

Is the Rab survival zone as waterproof/hardwearing? Is it worth going for a gore tex one?
    I use a Rab survival zone and its pretty good though if the weather is really bad I'd rather take my gortex one (or a tent )
    Bill

I have a Mountain Range bivvi bag in Goretex ( approx 800g / £180 ) and could not recommend it enough. A big diagonal zip, almost full length; like climbing into a body bag. I used it for a Scottish coast to coast jaunt, 10 years ago, totally bombproof and no condensation.
    I don't know if MR ( factory & outlet were in Alston ) still exist, have not been able to 'google' them.
    Terra Nova had a brilliant single hoop bivvi with an 'alligator's jaw' opening that provided a porch for cooking!
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 30-03-2010 at 11:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by N-dubya View Post
    I always carry a small square of material (old tent flysheet) and two short poles ( two half tent poles) and make a lean too above my head. Don't like to have my head sealed in. If you think about sighting and setting up the bivvy, this can work very well. Of course i use a tent during winter, Bivvy is for summer or short trips.
    http://www.manxfellrunners.org/
    My island is very nice

I was planning to get an Alpkit Hunka but they're out of stock for a while. Is the Rab survival zone as waterproof/hardwearing?

solar movies
    recipesny.com
    Last edited by jasmeen; 03-04-2021 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jasmeen View Post
    I was planning to get an Alpkit Hunka but they're out of stock for a while. Is the Rab survival zone as waterproof/hardwearing?
    I have one I haven't used in a while I think. If I can find it I would happily part with it for £20 so you can find out for yourself.