Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bruised Ribs - How long?

Re: Bruised Ribs - How long?

When I did my ribs in A & E checked them but said there was no point x-raying them as there wasn't much they could do. They were more concerned with checking that I hadn't punctured a lung. I did find that I was okay cycling when I couldn't run.

Hi

I fell and landed on my chest at the windmill whizz 13th March - went to A&E next day cos pain was horrible. They told me they do not xray as not point BUT did check for punctured lung.....

The advice was rest from running until it felt better 7 to 10 days if bruised longer if broken (I guess mine was broken as I still don't feel I could run yet). They also suggested 3 deep breaths every hour and some stretching exercises to keep rib cage mobilised and the lungs fully functional.

Certain movements were unpleasant to say the least for about 10 days and walking was hard work too.

I managed an hour cycling yesterday at easy to moderate intensity which was ok at the time. A little sore later in the day but felt much better this morning. I am hoping to cycle again tomorrow.

I am still a little tender and can't lie on that side yet.

Hope to run again next week.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    Thanks for all the advice.

Re getting it X-rayed, I wondered whether there was any point. Even if I had cracked my ribs rather than just bruise them can they do anything anyway?

I suppose if it is the former it will just take longer to heal and it will be 3 Peaks and Fellsman out of the window.
    I fell heavily after Christmas and heard my ribs crack as I hit the ground. I never stopped running and I doubt very much whether running or not running makes any difference to rib healing.

As others have said, unless you can stop breathing you can't really rest ribs. You might get lucky regarding a chest x-ray but as you've realised it's not really going to change anything and unless there is a pressing reason to have an x-ray, you may not be offered one.

Regarding recovery, my pain was fairly typical in taking 5 to 6 weeks to disappear. Nothing much seems to happen for ages and then it fades quickly in the last week.

I'd say forget the x-ray, get back to running and just grin & bear it.

Did 13 miles yesterday 12 days after my fall - the route of the Wharfedale Off-road marathon. Cracking day and a very scenic route with some decent hills. This took my mind off the bit of discomfort I felt from my ribs. Feel a little sore but not too bad this morning. So hopefully the 3 Peaks is back on for me.