Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reference Guide

Re: Reference Guide

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrump View Post
    Others made this thread 'sticky', which perhaps indicates a wider frustration regarding the bulk of repetitive, ill researched, not thought through content on this forum. Most could be officially answered by taking the trouble to follow the links I have posted. It should be obvious how to make me fade away.
    I'm sorry that use of the forum for answering questions, sometimes ill researched, sits so awkwardly with you and that you think the end justifies the means. Personally i'd be happy to answer any number of ill researched questions if it eases the introduction of mostly nervous newcomers to the arena, as it's too easy to be rude to people when you're not facing them and i'd stand tall and proud as someone breaking from your tradition...and apologies to Brett
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    But it's not the kit as specified in the FRA calendar, it's the kit as specified by the organiser. It was discussed in the equipment threads a week or two back where an organiser was being a bit picky about what kit was required. Yet if you look at the race details, nothing is detailed, either in the FRA calendar, or on the organising clubs website. This was not an AM or AL race so nothing is mandatory according to FRA rules.
    Yes but what counts as waterproof? I have a 'rainmate' see through hood with blue flowers on it. Does this count as a hood?
    What has the Flat Roof Alliance got to do with it?

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    I remain mystified by those who are not members of the FRA but who can navigate their electronic way to this FRA Forum and then have the hutzspa to ask questions about fellrunning of sometimes breathtaking naivety but who cannot manage the simple task of sending a modest cheque to join the organisation that represents fellrunning, in at least England (nod to Wheeze), and indeed provides the resources for this Forum on which said persons post.

But then, what do I know? I rather like TheGrump's postings.
    hutzspa chutzpah, you've talked me into it. My cheque and membership application are in the post.

I like the way this sticky thread has already turned into a "what's a waterproof" discussion btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Brotherton Lad View Post
    I like the way this sticky thread has already turned into a "what's a waterproof" discussion btw.
    Indeed, but reassuring: does night not always follows day, or is it the other way round?

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    Indeed, but reassuring: does night not always follows day, or is it the other way round?
    Is my glass half empty?

Don't forget the general public can access this forum; there are times, when, as a sport, we look completely incompetent.
    Am I meant to be bothered about this?

I'm a long time member of the Fell Runners Association, and I delight in the simplicity of a sport that just about anybody can do. There's no rules, you just get off the road, shuffle along and smile. It's free and there's loads of really nice uncomplicated people do it. To me any question of competence is about individuals taking responsibility for their own actions, rather than the profile of their chosen pastime.

I've never bothered to join the Fell Racers Association and I don't submit to their Forum
    “The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.”

Geoff Cox Lonsdale Fellrunners

Quote Originally Posted by Brotherton Lad View Post
    I hate it when that happens. It wouldn't have happened if we tied the Bank of England rates to gold.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    1. Turn up
    2. Pay 3 quid
    3. Run (and walk a bit)
    4. Drink beer
    5. Have fun
    Ahhhh. Simplicity. Nice one!

You don't have to be a FRA (or W, S and NI variants) member to run a race but it all helps, especially for those longsuffering individuals who can be bothered to interface our lovely little amateur sport with the Athletics/Legal Politburo and come up with regs that do their best to satisfy both sides.
    Sweat, patience and unpaid time goes into drawing up those regs, so the least any interested competitor could do is stump up the few quid it costs to join the association and get the regs themselves rather than expecting a free link to the resource. The forum should, of course, carry on pointing people in the right direction/offering sage advice/burbling inanities which is the function of forums the world over. Get with the schedule TG!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

1) Encourage new comers to the sport by making it clearer, where and how to find official information, and get support.
    So now your patronising/sarcastic comments are the provision of a thankless and tireless public service? Need an example...

These volunteer organisers really are inconsiderate.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Super Moderator

Nice signature Grumpster! Keep up the good work
    Poacher turned game-keeper