Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Reference Guide

Re: Reference Guide

Quote Originally Posted by SEFTON View Post
    As a complete newbie to the sport I've been a bit of a post whore with all kind of noob questions. However everyone has been more than helpfull with great info/advice...and some good banter too!

A great forum I think!
    We where all noobies once upon a time.

Aye, its a reet good place.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrump View Post
    However, I still suggest, along with others, that there are too many repetitive, often critical posts based on erroneous assumptions about rules or situations, which could easily be resolved by some basic research. A combination of following links and obtaining the handbook by joining the FRA would help everyone immeasurably.
    Yes to basic research. But FRA membership for all forumites is a lose lose scenario.

I wonder how many existing FRA members viewed this forum prior to taking the decision to join. I did. And the fact that I found it to be a friendly and encouraging resource, full of wit, banter, advice and comradery played a part, however small, in deciding that the FRA was something I wanted to be a part of.

Of course, some people will have posted on here for years with out joining the FRA. So be it. I don't see the correlation between that and repetitive or irrelevant threads.

If you don't like it, don't read it.
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

Yep same here!

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrump View Post
    Thanks as usual for the response DT.
    This isn't about beginners though, even if I do express myself poorly; given the chance I'll always try to help and encourage newcomers, if only because I was made so very welcome and helped when I started, from the champions of the day to wet and cold marshals.
    However, I still suggest, along with others, that there are too many repetitive, often critical posts based on erroneous assumptions about rules or situations, which could easily be resolved by some basic research. A combination of following links and obtaining the handbook by joining the FRA would help everyone immeasurably.
    But enough is enough, I've had my say; time to retire I think. Thanks to you all for your interest, patience, and contributions.
    Be warned though, I may return if sufficiently baited.
    Yes, but you are a pedant.

This forum is as much about chatting and good banter as posting very concise replies without humour etc

I think the light heartedness of this forum is it's lifeblood.

But then again I might be the only one who thinks so.
    Eight Eccentrics of Yangzhou

There are three aspects to this:

1. individual views on what the Forum could/might/should/etc, be: eccentric's,TheGrump's, mine; all are equally valid.

2. the stance of the FRA Committee which "created" the Forum. It's current view is "arm's length", eg you do not need to be a member of the FRA to contribute. I do not see that changing at present.

3. the reality of what the Forum actually is: sometimes puerile, erudite, amusing, helpful, patronising, good craic, insults, et al, ie the reality of the Forum is the creation of its active contributors (which is a very small % of the FRA membership).

So the Forum is what it is and what those who contribute have made it. And to return to point 1., it allows TheGrump the freedom to have a moan: and so it should.

I think the forum is great. I reckon it gives a newcomer a very good feel for the grassroots, anarchical and out of left field nature of this niche sport and pastime of ours.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    There are three aspects to this:

1. individual views on what the Forum could/might/should/etc, be: eccentric's,TheGrump's, mine; all are equally valid.

2. the stance of the FRA Committee which "created" the Forum. It's current view is "arm's length", eg you do not need to be a member of the FRA to contribute. I do not see that changing at present.

3. the reality of what the Forum actually is: sometimes puerile, erudite, amusing, helpful, patronising, good craic, insults, et al, ie the reality of the Forum is the creation of its active contributors (which is a very small % of the FRA membership).

So the Forum is what it is and what those who contribute have made it. And to return to point 1., it allows TheGrump the freedom to have a moan: and so it should.
    Pedant!

Quote Originally Posted by eccentric View Post
    Pedant!

I think the word you actually wanted was "erudition".

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    I think the word you actually wanted was "erudition".
    Pedant!

Quote Originally Posted by eccentric View Post
    Pedant!

I think you will find that contribution is adequately described by TheGrump's reference to repetitive postings.