Thread: trainning for wasdale etc

trainning for wasdale etc

I have entered wasdale and am gonna do ennerdale and borrowdale to.What sort of trainning would anyone recommend ? I can get to hills at a weekend but mainly on the roads.Dont want a plan as such more a guide really

Re: trainning for wasdale etc

See this thread:

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showthread.php?t=10899

I have nothing to add having just done my first 20 mile race with no specific training - oops ;-)

Jim

Re: trainning for wasdale etc

wish I could be more helpful but, after the thread I started, I am none the wiser. When I feel like I have been doing a lot of running and feeling good I have sometimes utterly bombed out in these superlongs and other times when I have been feeling knackered and burnt out I have done well. I can see no reason for any of the bizarre times and performances I have had in recent years.

I guess in the ideal world you should be training on the fells getting in lots of long runs. If it is of any help at all I have found that as long as you are reasonably mountain fit and can run a bit then, with a bit of grit and determination, you will get round. It may not be pretty but you will get there. I find that the trick on the run is to adopt a steady pace and not run hard even if you might be feeling good since you will pay later on on the run.

Specific to wasdale I would suggest you take it easy until over whin rigg, save something in your legs for the ascent of gable, adrenalin will get you onto the top of Scafell and gravity will help you get down.