Thread: Exe to Axe

Exe to Axe

Hello all

Anyone doing the Exe to Axe on Sunday? I'll be no. 289, probably near the back (well hopefully done in around 4 hours anyway) - it'll be my longest race to date. I'll be on the coach from Seaton in the morning, so please say hi. Any helpful hints / advice, anyone?

And does anyone know a shop between the West Mids and Exeter where I can pick up some Hi 5 citrus gels on the way down tomorrow afternoon?

Enjoy your weekend's running!

Jim

undercover moderator

Re: Exe to Axe 2010

Quote Originally Posted by jtinnion View Post
    Hello all

Anyone doing the Exe to Axe on Sunday? I'll be no. 289, probably near the back (well hopefully done in around 4 hours anyway) - it'll be my longest race to date. I'll be on the coach from Seaton in the morning, so please say hi. Any helpful hints / advice, anyone?
    Lots of climb (4,000'), but nothing individually over 500' I think.

Don't think about racing until you get at least as far as Sidmouth.

Don't get lost in the caravan park, only stupid people like me do that.

Don't get mixed up in the tri-club aquathlon going on at Sidmouth (but if you do fancy a swim, there's a terrific racing line you can get by swimming the river Otter...)

Quote Originally Posted by Mud View Post
    Lots of climb (4,000'), but nothing individually over 500' (but if you do fancy a swim, there's a terrific racing line you can get by swimming the river Otter...)
    Don't put ideas in my head - I am THAT STUPID.

Saves over a mile doesn't it?

Thanks for the advice - will try to do absolutely nothing more than 11-12 min miles until Sidmouth!!

Jim

Well - I'm home now.

This was an excellent race on a bright sunny day with just enough of a breeze to keep it nice and cool.

I did go off a bit quickly, getting to Sidmouth in just on two hours, and then blowing up a little over the last third of the race. But it was an good introduction to longer races.

I think I need to get a few more miles in! Over the last five miles I was reduced to a jog-trot at best, with a few spells of walking, even on the level...

I was pleased with the hill climbing, making up a few places every time it got steep (except the final big climb cos there was no on with me by then).

The descent into Sidmouth is fabulous, all runnable, but I made the mistake of doing it a bit too enthusiastically and didn't have much in the tank for the climb back out.

Anyway it was an excellent day in a place I wouldn't otherwise have gone, and very well organised - thank you to Sidmouth Running Club...

Now its off to bed!

Jim

Hey Jim, I was there too - what a beautiful day eh?

It sounds as though you had a great race!

I was reduced to a walk jog combination (with emphasis on the walking) for the last 5 or so miles due to a knee injury but still really enjoyed the whole experience. Highlights being the scenery, some great company along the way and bourbon biscuits at the last water point : )

S

Hey Sophie. You were ten minutes ahead of me at the end, so you can't have done too much walking :-)

There was a big group in front of me - you must have finished just in front of that.

Well done - and I hope the injury isn't too bad... I'm just a little sore today but no permanent harm done I think.

Jim

PS: Welcome to the forum!

Is anyone doing the 2011 race. I'm interested in it, but logistics are proving a little tricky, so if I could find someone to offer a lift from a nearby station it would be hugely appreciated. I'd chuck in for fuel etc.