Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheviot Summit

Cheviot Summit

Anyone doing this on Sunday? I did a recce a few weeks ago, went up and down the same side (not sure what the race route is) and it's flippin steep!

Re: Cheviot Summit

I may be doing this race but it very much depends on how sore my legs are after the Hawkshead Trail race the day before ...

Looks like the details for this new race didn't quite make the paper calendar but are posted on this site, in the race update section - I've copied them below for convenience:

Quote Originally Posted by FRAcalendar
    CHEVIOT SUMMIT AND BACK (R) AM. 11.00 a.m. 6.2m/2026' from the end of Harthope valley (GR NT909205). £5 on day. Teams free. ER/LK/NS/PM. Over 18. New event. Out and back race climbing to the highest point in Northumberland. No toilets. Details: Glen McWilliams, Cheviot View, Doddington, Northumberland, NE71 6AN. Tel: 01668 282059.
    In addition, here's a link to a scan I took of the organiser's race flyer which has a little more detail about the route - but anyone who's parked at the end of Harthope valley and gone directly up Cheviot will be familiar with it - a case of heads down all the way up and then hell for leather back down by the looks of it!

PS. I've amended the grid reference given as it would appear to start and finish on the top of Cheviot itself - now that would be an interesting race!

Wow, thanks for that, very useful. Good to know the route in advance. I will definitely be in the 'give way to oncoming competitors descending' category

Good luck with the Hawkshead Trail. I did that last year, in fact it was my first ever fell race! Thoroughly enjoyed it and will give it another bash one day.

Quote Originally Posted by tag View Post
    ... Good luck with the Hawkshead Trail. I did that last year, in fact it was my first ever fell race! ...
    ... ooh, careful what you call it, you'll start off another argument

Yes, I did Hawkshead last year too and had a great time. It looks like this year, the trail race is going to be filmed too (by the people that produced the English Fellrunning Championship DVDs) so I'll try to remember to keep smiling!

Anyway back to the Cheviot Summit: new race but I thoroughly enjoyed one of the organiser's other races (Glendale Show fell race) and I'm sure this'll be just as cheery. It'll probably be taped and I believe the local MRT will be there too. Parking shouldn't be a problem but a reminder that there are no toilets at this race and the start area is frequented by many other people besides fellrunners - there are loos in Wooler @ NT 991280 and also at a Northumberland National Park car park @ NT 994256.

Terrain: The route up Cheviot should be easy going (if a little steep at times) on short grass path mixed with a bit of short heather, broken peat sections (probably reasonably firm with this weather), a few loose rocky bits and a small paved section at the top to stop you sinking up to your chest in soggy peat (in the wet season).
    If I go, I'll be wearing studs but I imagine some folk will wear trail shoes too.

have fun!

And what a great little race this turned out to be. Loads cooler than Hawkshead race the day before and cloud was down to about 2000', but the cloud lifted as runners approached the top, letting the sunshine in (and promptly dropped back down again as the last runners descended!). Underfoot conditions were perfect too - firm but not too dry - which led to some fast descents.

I've put a link to two sets of photos which we took at the race on my 'photo blog' site here.

sharp comes round again, but its on this sunday!
    langleeford nr wooler, its in the calendar as well

watch out for the young forumite Will Marshall...he'll be there

yep chatted to will at the waltz, will see him there

Cheviot Summit Race

is it on this year? Usually April...

Yes, I have spoken with the race organiser and he told me it is on May 8th. Keep an eye on www.northumberlandfellrunners.co.uk for updates.