Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: University Project - OMM Backpack

University Project - OMM Backpack

Hello, my name is William Tuck and I am a product design student at Derby University.

OMM have set up a project with the university for the course I am studying in which we have been asked to re-design part of their outdoor backpacks. The project is to re-design the parts of the bag which make contact with the user, e.g. the shoulder straps, the chest straps and the padded back of the bag. The aim is to make the bag more comfortable to wear when doing any mountain running events and also to reduce the weight of the bag.

I have done a little camping in the mountains but I have never done any kind of mountain running events so I have very little knowledge about what makes a good backpack for these events so I would appreciate any help I could get.

If you have any ideas about what improvements I could make to the bag then I would appreciate it a lot, also if there is anything which you do not like about any backpack you have previously owned then I would appreciate to find out.

OMM have agreed to make the best design into an actual bag for the winner to keep and if they think it is good enough they may consider putting it into production so this could be your chance to influence new designs. (though I can't guarantee anything)

Thank you for your time and help.

William Tuck

Ask them to either make two versions or more adjustment. MM partner and I are female, about 50kg and about 5foot6 tall, we cannot adjust the shoulder or waist straps tight enough.
    On my OMM sack there is an embroidered logo in the centre of the back panel, not sure it is on the newer opens, it is a source of rubbing.
    Side elastic pockets are quite hard to access, could they be more slanted?

Actually , I like the sack lots!

Master
    Do make sure the straps are made of a material that does not rub and cause soreness - needs to be OK wet or dry; if soreness does start it helps if there are multiple adjustments that can be made to move the source of friction.

Kind of related to the straps... but the central exit point for the hose (if using a hydration system) means that it forces a route across the back of your neck. This makes for an awkward route of the hydration hose.

If the exit 'ports' were at the bottom of each strap it would make it much more comfortable.

Back of rucksack - to keep the weight down there shouldn't be any padding - the user can pack the contents in a way that provides padding. If it was possible to put some lightweight stiffening into the back to stop the pack collapsing during packing that would be good. E.g. I have in mind a pair of lightweight bendy poles, could be carbon fibre, one down each side.

Chest strap and waist straps - one thing I always want is to have access to food etc and to be able to put away my compass, without needing to take the pack off or get my partner to rummage, so front pockets and waist pockets are a good thing. Full-on chest packs that attach to the shoulder straps are OTT. I saw one pack online a while ago with a mesh section on the front, part of the shoulder straps, incorporating useful pockets for the odd energy bar etc, but nothing like as bulky as a chest pack In summary, waist straps that don't have pockets will stop me buying a pack, and shoulder straps that incorporate some storage would be excellent.

Hope this helps!
    Still "Afloat in the stone heavings of emptiness"

Hi Will, we live about 100yards from the University and both my partner and myself run with small OMM packs most weekends if you want any testers. I like mine but I know she struggles with the straps.

Rob.

I have an OMM Adventure Light.
    There is a ribbed seam right across the rucksack back about 1/5th the way up.
    What a major, major design flaw!
    On a long day out in hot weather, the bloody thing rubs me raw!
    Bought a Deuter Speedlight this year - bliss!

I like them, but the 'last drop' one could do with some belt pockets, and more slant on the mesh pockets so that drink bottles can be got at on the go. Also, a key fob thing in the top pocket (lost some car keys once, in the snow!)

Quote Originally Posted by karen nash View Post
    Side elastic pockets are quite hard to access, could they be more slanted?
    I've seen a similar sack (although I can't remember the make) with side pockets that slide around to the front on the waistbelt for easy access and are then stowed out of the way, around to the sides and fixed in position with Velcro. This works brilliantly and makes for easy access on the move.
    Do what you like, like what you do

[QUOTE=Stevie;560078]Back of rucksack - to keep the weight down there shouldn't be any padding - the user can pack the contents in a way that provides padding.

I've got an old Karrimor MM rucksack, it has no padding on the back, just a bit on the hip strap. It looks very oldfashioned compared to the sacks on the market now, but it still does its job.