Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: New magazine

Re: New magazine

Believe Trail mag. will be out Feb. 24th, it's quarterly.

As a returning off road / trail / hill /fell runner who has bought the last 2 magazines I found them interesting to read and further motivated me to get out more into the hills and push the boundaries but within my limits.
    I live within yards of the Peak District boundary and have used the hills for all kinds of leisure for over 35 years, obeying areas of conservation, which are well signed.

I find it frustrating therefore to read on this thread, some of the small mindedness and elitism by some that conveys and implies that some (not all),FRA members, have some kind of special right to use the hills over others. Not wanting others to join in the sport or races Not quite the welcoming I expected to read with attitudes to match. Is the £12 membership the price of elitism.

I think that I will let the National Trust and the CRoW be the arbiter of where I run. So I say good luck and well done to Trail Magazine for bringing information and enjoyment to those who love the outdoors and to those who dont get to hung up about labelling what category you fit into.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaf View Post
    As a returning off road / trail / hill /fell runner who has bought the last 2 magazines I found them interesting to read and further motivated me to get out more into the hills and push the boundaries but within my limits.
    I live within yards of the Peak District boundary and have used the hills for all kinds of leisure for over 35 years, obeying areas of conservation, which are well signed.

I find it frustrating therefore to read on this thread, some of the small mindedness and elitism by some that conveys and implies that some (not all),FRA members, have some kind of special right to use the hills over others. Not wanting others to join in the sport or races Not quite the welcoming I expected to read with attitudes to match. Is the £12 membership the price of elitism.

I think that I will let the National Trust and the CRoW be the arbiter of where I run. So I say good luck and well done to Trail Magazine for bringing information and enjoyment to those who love the outdoors and to those who dont get to hung up about labelling what category you fit into.
    Elitism - God I hate that word! I actually think that fell running is the least "elitist" form of running out there. Everyone talks to each other and most fell runners are very friendly and helpful. Obviously it's competitive (it is racing after all!) but I don't think that spoils anything.

Fell runners aren't trying to keep people out of the sport, but what we all don't want is an influx of people that don't care about the hills, and don't respect the potential dangers the sport poses as this would not only risk spoiling the atmosphere of the races but would also greatly increase the chances of mishaps and carelessness that could wreck the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by older but no wiser View Post
    Believe Trail mag. will be out Feb. 24th, it's quarterly.

OBNW

Issue 1 was Summer
    Issue 2 was Autumn

If Issue 3 is out at the end of Feb, surely that's Spring

What happened to the Winter magazine?
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

Danbert, still feels like winter in my old bones. used DTs link to mudsweatandtears for info, post #103.

Based on the positive response to the issues last year (readers and advertisers) Trail runner will be published quarterly in 2011, with the first one in Feb.

And yes I do formally declare an interest in being a contributor to it and believing that there is room in the market for a trail running focused publication (NOT a fell running one)

saz

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Rob View Post
    Elitism - God I hate that word! I actually think that fell running is the least "elitist" form of running out there. Everyone talks to each other and most fell runners are very friendly and helpful. Obviously it's competitive (it is racing after all!) but I don't think that spoils anything.
    I don't think it can be accused of elitism within its own boundaries - in fact the opposite, it almost seems to be a badge of honour to be at the back of the field. But I do think many fellrunners - probably mostly the ones at the back of the field - suffer from a superiority complex and display an undignified sniffiness towards trail and road running. You see it on here a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Rob View Post
    Fell runners aren't trying to keep people out of the sport
    I think you'll find in many case they are. I didn't think much to the first Trail mag - I will give it another go - but if it gets more people into off-road running I'm all for it.
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 04-02-2011 at 12:33 PM.

Anyone know when the FRA mag is due out this year? joining soon and hoping to get in intime to get the 1st one of the year.
    Mobile: 07854458103 Email: [email protected]

I dont think we are concerned about new runners coming in to the sport, on the contrary I think most of us are happy to offer support and advice/encouragement. Where I think some of us are concerned (rightly or wrongly) is in the perception that some runners from other backgrounds/experience may seek to change fell running into something else. I'm not being dismissive of other runs/events such as trail races or LDWA events, I've done some of both and they are enjoyable and challenging - but different to fell running. None of them are wrong or better/worse than each other, just different. I'm just a bit worried that some runners might seek to make them all the same and that if these differences aren't recognised and valued fell races will lose something.

Quote Originally Posted by older but no wiser View Post
    Danbert, still feels like winter in my old bones. used DTs link to mudsweatandtears for info, post #103.
    Thanks for the link OBNW :thumbup:
    Based on the positive response to the issues last year (readers and advertisers) Trail runner will be published quarterly in 2011, with the first one in Feb.

And yes I do formally declare an interest in being a contributor to it and believing that there is room in the market for a trail running focused publication (NOT a fell running one)

saz
    Saz - I enjoyed the first two editions of the magazine and am chuffed to see that it looks like it's going to become a permanent fixture :thumbup:
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There