Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: New magazine

Re: New magazine

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamB View Post
    They just don't sell magazines with inappropriate titles in Ilkley. One has to go to hot spots of debauchery like Addingham.
    or even Accrington

I thought it was really poor!
    Too much like Runners World and geared to much towards beginners!

Did anyone notice the price on the front?
    I won't be paying that!

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    I thought they are deliberately not pushing the fell running side, rather than missing it out, knowing the FRA and Fellrunner have that angle covered.
    Get away with you!

At least four articles on fell running, covering (a)inspiration, (b) fell shoes, (c)MMs and (d)why do we do it.

A bit too much fell for a first edition trail mag, if you ask me.

Still, like the mother mag, there was very little of substance about either fell or trail - which is what you'd expect from a magazine which is designed more to increase the market and cash flow. It's never going to be much use to folk already in the sport.

Especially at a cover price of £4.30.

worth getting the " free " one , and plenty of reading for £3.99 . but i wont be paying £4.30 too often ! as for browsing in smiths they ususally give something free so the mag comes in a sealed bag .

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Thug View Post
    Get away with you!

At least four articles on fell running, covering (a)inspiration, (b) fell shoes, (c)MMs and (d)why do we do it.

A bit too much fell for a first edition trail mag, if you ask me.

Still, like the mother mag, there was very little of substance about either fell or trail - which is what you'd expect from a magazine which is designed more to increase the market and cash flow. It's never going to be much use to folk already in the sport.
    I know, 4 articles out of how many....they've shown its there, mentioned a few routes.

I think like climbers being condescending to trail and its readers we'll know doubt see the same with fell runners and trail running, but its the average FRA member isn't really the target audience. Look at how many run the trail evens in the lakes? How many are experienced off road runners? and these soloman events. It's a huge growth area.

Your last comment is spot on with that. For experienced runners, it has nice pictures, maybe the odd interesting article, but nothing of great interest.

Master and MR

Unhappy Re: New magazine

I know, 4 articles out of how many....they've shown its there, mentioned a few routes.

I think like climbers being condescending to trail and its readers we'll know doubt see the same with fell runners and trail running, but its the average FRA member isn't really the target audience. Look at how many run the trail evens in the lakes? How many are experienced off road runners? and these soloman events. It's a huge growth area.

Your last comment is spot on with that. For experienced runners, it has nice pictures, maybe the odd interesting article, but nothing of great interest.
    It has no interest for me Iain
    Lots of these magazines now are just full of advertsing. Take Pro Cycling, bet thats about £4.00 now
    I just cant get into Trail magazine. Prob purchased it twice. I dont really need anyone telling me the best routes on the mountains or telling me how good the latest stove is.
    Not for me thanks
    If I want information I ask the forum. Much better

That's what I'm saying.

These mags are designed for people who don't get out, work long hours, so they have the cash, but don't really no anyone in the field. The info's OK. They are also the group with a huge amount of disposable income.

A forum is OK once you know the experience of the posters, otherwise its dangerous, as you'd hope a magazine would employ qualified advisors (which I know Trail have given out some dangerous info...)

Its one group we target for the business, they turn up, don't have any info to plan a route, no time too, so pay for a quick fix solution and we show them the route, for them £50 for a few hours run is nothing, its their time which is valuable.

I think that's why trail and trail running can get away with an expensive magazine, for the people they target, city folk really, its just nothing.

Master and MR

That's what I'm saying.

These mags are designed for people who don't get out, work long hours, so they have the cash, but don't really no anyone in the field. The info's OK. They are also the group with a huge amount of disposable income.

A forum is OK once you know the experience of the posters, otherwise its dangerous, as you'd hope a magazine would employ qualified advisors (which I know Trail have given out some dangerous info...)

Its one group we target for the business, they turn up, don't have any info to plan a route, no time too, so pay for a quick fix solution and we show them the route, for them £50 for a few hours run is nothing, its their time which is valuable.

I think that's why trail and trail running can get away with an expensive magazine, for the people they target, city folk really, its just nothing.
    how can a forum be dangerous ?
    walking on snowdon is dangerous Iain.
    Last edited by daz h; 25-05-2010 at 12:32 PM.

It is for Grouse.

Heh heh heh...
    I'm gonna get that cwazy gwouse...