Thread: Hitting the wall at altitude

Exclamation Hitting the wall at altitude

My training has been improving from month to month recently and now feel at my fittest, however, I´ve just entered Bolivia and after a good week or two of trying to tackle hights of over 4000m I´m still finding it as hard as day 1.

Does anyone have any inside knowledge or training tips to help me run in these altitudes as sooner or later, I fear, Bolivian street food will take it´s toll?

Cheers

Re: Hitting the wall at altitu

hi PTM
    what altitude are you sleeping at?

Try chewing the "special" leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Twister View Post
    Try chewing the "special" leaves.
    The Top Gear lot did this when they drove over the Andes and all that in the latest big challenge.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Sleeping at 4100 at the moment but trying to run 5000 and above.... It´s getting a tad easier but still ripping my lungs apart.... Coca leaves help to an extent but still progress is slow.

PTM,

I guess you're sleeping somewhere near La Paz or on Alti Plano. It took me around 3 weeks before my lungs somehow manage to get a break and I was living at Cochabamba (somewhere around 2 500 meters). You're asking a lot to your body. Give you some time for adaptation. And don't forget that besides coca leaves you also have Sorochi pills and eucalyptus leaves.

Also even if you think progress are slow you'll have plenty of benefits when you'll get back to sea level. When I got back from Bolivia my cosom hockey team mates were saying I was everywhere. Running was so easier!

On which mountain are you training higher than 5 000 meters? When I went over 5 000 meters it was on Chacaltalla mountain.

PTM

I think you will have to give it a bit of time.

A few years ago I was on Aconcagua. Base Camp is at around 14,500 feet. Those who rush there regularly get altitude problems.

Living at that altitude for a couple of weeks took everyone different.

On my first trip up the mountain I was accompanied by a 21 year old, rugby playing Royal Marine, who turned blue in the face just 200 meters above base camp. A few days later he was as strong as an ox.

After a steady walk in over 3 days (from around 9,000 feet) and a day of loafing at base camp, I was fine from the off.

One afternoon, one of the Park Rangers asked to borrow my poles to make his daily check from about 18,000 to one of the high camps at about 21,000. He was up and back in an unbelievably fast time, about 4/5 times faster than the average climber.

His duty shift lasted 30 days and he was towards the end of that shift when he pulled this trick.

Time will sort it out, and keep well hydrated.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by BGSec View Post
    PTM

[...] and keep well hydrated.
    I forgot to mention this important one and it's probably the first advice we should give to someone going at higher altitude!

Quote Originally Posted by bfluc View Post
    PTM,

I guess you're sleeping somewhere near La Paz or on Alti Plano. It took me around 3 weeks before my lungs somehow manage to get a break and I was living at Cochabamba (somewhere around 2 500 meters). You're asking a lot to your body. Give you some time for adaptation. And don't forget that besides coca leaves you also have Sorochi pills and eucalyptus leaves.

Also even if you think progress are slow you'll have plenty of benefits when you'll get back to sea level. When I got back from Bolivia my cosom hockey team mates were saying I was everywhere. Running was so easier!

On which mountain are you training higher than 5 000 meters? When I went over 5 000 meters it was on Chacaltalla mountain.
    Right on all accounts thanks bfluc.... 3 weeks into running ner La Paz and I´m now back to good form and the great news... Back in a week to rip up the end of the season. Cheers for all the advice guys.
    PTM

Quote Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
    Right on all accounts thanks bfluc.... 3 weeks into running ner La Paz and I´m now back to good form and the great news... Back in a week to rip up the end of the season. Cheers for all the advice guys.
    PTM
    Please say hello to los Bolivianos for me. Have fun! I am looking forward to go there again.