Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello everyone - just joined

Hello everyone - just joined

Hi all

I've just joined. I've done a bit of road running over the years at a novice level (four marathons, the latest being Windermere last year in 3h 55m), but never really taken part in fell races. I don't venture out on to the fells as much as I should and, now in my late thirties, I'm wondering if it would be more forgiving for my knees (?)...

Pleased to 'meet' you all,

Paul

Re: Hello everyone - just join

Hi Paul and welcome.
    I've only been fell running for a couple of months and wouldn't describe it as "forgiving" however with your location its just plain rude not to get out on the fells. The pain is always worth it
    "That was the night everything changed"

Hi... thank you.

No, perhaps that wasn't quite the right choice of wording. I was meaning something with less impact than tarmac. Maybe I should just take up cycling.

I know I'm very lucky to live where I do. This week I took some time off work... on Monday we went up to Levers Water near Coniston Old Man (just walking) and the weather was fantastic. The Lakes can be so beautiful when the weather is right.

Guess the impact difference would depend upon the terrain you come across on the fells varying from grass, bog, scree, rock etc. Now i'm no expert on this but i guess the impact on your knees while descending will remain high. Might be worth looking at your running style too. Are you a heel striker? If so you could look at pose/chi running techniques to move to a fore/midfoot strike and decrease impact whilst improving efficiancy.

Yes, I tend to heel strike. I've recently been moved on to orthotics also because of minor injury problems I've had due to over(?) pronating. I suppose if I start off on grass and nothing too steep on my descents, then maybe it won't be so bad...

Quote Originally Posted by kendalcottages View Post
    Yes, I tend to heel strike. I've recently been moved on to orthotics also because of minor injury problems I've had due to over(?) pronating. ...
    May i suggest you spend some time looking at the lengthy barefoot running thread in the training section. This thread discusses the benefits of barefoot/minimalist running and improving technique to reduce injury. There is a wide school of thought that believes our injuries are created by over built up shoes, and that orthotics will simply allow you to manage with a problem rather than address the issue. I believe lakes runner in Ambleside sometimes do talks on this subject so well worth checking them out:
    www.lakesrunner.com
    Also worth having a read of born to run by Christopher McDougal which again covers this subject and appears to have been the catalyst in the move towards mid/forefoot technique. Check out amazon i think it sell for £4.49

Here's a good quote taken from the book, and from the barefoot thread:

Shoes block pain,not impact!
    Pain teaches us to run comfortably!
    From the moment you start going barefoot,you will change the way you run.

Now i'm not suggesting you just start barefoot running as this could be potentially harmfull in itself. Just have a good read of the thread, see what you think and consider gradually introducing a more minimalist approach and hopefully see the benefits. Take it too fast and you'll suffer.
    Last edited by The devil's own; 16-04-2010 at 01:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kendalcottages View Post
    Hi all

I've just joined. I've done a bit of road running over the years at a novice level (four marathons, the latest being Windermere last year in 3h 55m), but never really taken part in fell races. I don't venture out on to the fells as much as I should and, now in my late thirties, I'm wondering if it would be more forgiving for my knees (?)...

Pleased to 'meet' you all,

Paul
    Hi Paul

Welcome to the thread. Are you in Kendal? If so then consider coming down to Helm Hill Runners at 6.45 on a Wednesday night on the Helm above Oxenholme station. You would be most welcome.

Keep your shoes on for now! The fells are so much better for your knees than the road. You can combine some low impact cycling too as that is more beneficial for fell running than road running. Just get running into the fells and give it a go, that is the best way. Have fun.

regards

Harry
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry H Howgill View Post
    Hi Paul

Keep your shoes on for now!

Like i said i'm in no way suggesting he goes barefoot, i'm just saying maybe he should look at making changes to his technique to help with his injuries and issues related to impact.

Welcome, Paul,
    I, too, was mainly a long distance road runner for 30 years, but have always done cross country, fell and orienteering 'on the side' so to speak. I'm now living back in the North Country for the first time in 2 decades and have gone heavily towards fell running, because it's on the doorstep, though I'll continue to do some road races for pace work. I prefer fell because:

It's much gentler on the joints than road.
    The scenery is great.
    It's still a grass roots sport (road has gone mass market and can be a little 'precious' for my old tastes).
    The level of traffic and lack of consideration of some drivers is much worse than 20 years ago.
    I prefer the under-stated company of fellow fell runners.
    I'll never again get anywhere near my old road times and the fells present a different physical and mental challenge to clock chasing