Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shin splint?

Angry Severe shin splints

Hi all,

2 weeks ago I ran the cloud nine fell race at congleton. Towards the end of the race on the flat road section my shins were becoming really painful every time my foot hit the ground, which reduced me to a slow jog by the end of the race.

Since then I've not run at all until last night. The pain reappear after just a few yards of running. Even now my shins are still hurting just walking. I've had this pain before but it has always gone away after 1-2 days. Is it likely that I've caused some serious damage to the bone/muscle, if so does any know a physio I can see in the notts/derby/sheffield area?

Re: Severe shin splints

I developed shin splints (the muscular sort I think) following a long road run (16m) and several shorter hard road runs in January. It was the increase in mileage and change of surface that did it I think.

I eased off the mileage, got two ice packs from Boots, used ibuprofen gel on the muscle and sharp boney bit and have since stayed off-road for long runs. Its not 100% gone but its much, much better and I have got the mileage up. Give it a try.
    Biriani for endurance, pathia for speed.

i had shin splints,on and off for about 6 months,find the best cure is rest,still get it if i do to much mileage,just ease off for a bit and see how it goes

Sadly this is an exceptionally frustrating injury.
    In the early stages, it's not bad enough to stop you from running...
    But every single piece of advice will tell you to rest, which being stubborn human beings..., we tend to ignore.
    As you'll later find, keeping on running was a bad idea.

It also tends to strike when you've been really motivated and start increasing mileage dramatically. The result of which is enough to counter the initial motivation, dispersing all 'aspirations of greatness' that we may have conjured up.

After two weeks rest, you go out on a easy training run, feeling fine!
    Next week, up the mileage again, and before you know it that annoying painful feeling is back again. Shin splints is a sneaky injury and is very difficult to get rid off... but not impossible.

Touch wood, I'm free of shin splints at the moment but would not be at all surprised if they are lurking somewhere round the corner.

Most people will tell you that shin splints is an 'overuse injury' and this is largely true. A decent physiotherapist can look into possible underlying reasons such as over pronation (flat feet), tight calf muscles or poor running mechanics, which may be making you more prone to shin splints.

Usually however, the problem is overuse and a change of training program / style can sometimes be necessary.

Something worth bearing in mind, tibial shock is larger on concrete than tarmac, and larger on tarmac than grass. Also, an increase in speed of 100% gives 70% more tibial shock. Something to bear in mind when planning training.

Good luck
    God made the Hills!!
    Feel Awe!!
    My Blog

I developed shin splints after suddenly starting training on the track early last year. Running off-road I was fine but it hurt for days after any distance on a hard surface. I resorted to just training off-road and if I found that I HAD TO run on the road/track I took some ibuprofen before hand and it seemed to see me through. My physio took great pleasure in working on my bumpy shins...it was unbelievably painful but did seem to help. Throughout the summer I hardly touched the roads and by the time it came to late autumn and starting to run league road races it had almostly completely gone. I still get a bit of a niggle after a long road race (half/mara) but it only lasts a day or so and doesn't stop me running like it did before.

OK, rest it is then. I've used some ibuprofen gel last night an it seems to help. I'm running more than I have ever done in the past so maybe I've increase the mileage too much althrough very little of this is on the road.

Also I do alot of cycling (200-300 miles/week) has anyone found that the way cycling develops your muscles makes you more likely to get shin splints?

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewStuart View Post
    Also I do alot of cycling (200-300 miles/week) has anyone found that the way cycling develops your muscles makes you more likely to get shin splints?
    Interesting point, if you cycle with clips or toe straps, the upstroke of the pedalling cycle can strengthen your tibialis anterior (shin muscle). But there is no such effect without clips. Along with the other 3 calf muscles, the tibialis anterior helps support your ankles so you don't fall over when running.

The following article has a great selection of lower leg exercises to keep 'injury free.'
    http://www.brianmac.co.uk/articles/scni2a3.htm
    God made the Hills!!
    Feel Awe!!
    My Blog

Cycling should actually help as it's low-impact, I've certainly never found it to be a cause of this problem. From my experience, Shin-splints are usually caused by too rapid a ramping up of mileage (should never be more than say 10% per week) - a good example would be a fit person (eg a competant cyclist) trying out running & doing too many miles too soon.
    Suggest rest, hot/cold on affected area, minimise walking (if poss), cycling (initially on turbo trainer if you have one) or other cross-train for a while to keep fitness/sanity, then when ready to run avoid tarmac like the plague! & ramp up miles again gradually.
    Full & complete recovery will come, but may take a good few weeks....Try to be patient - the season is still young! Good luck - hope this helps.

The other thing to do is to make sure your shoes are not worn out. (assuming they were "proper" running shoes in the first place!) Or try running in a different make of shoe. Having a couple of pairs on the go and alternating can help.

shin splint?

Hi,

I think the last mile or so of Wardle on the downhill cobbles have given me a shin splint.

It’s a dull ache around my inside ankle and up the inside of my shin (with a little ache on the outer muscle on the outer shin).

It’s not painful just an ache, I’m pretty sure I could run but I don’t want to aggravate it if its mending.

It’s been almost a week now since running but I’m not sure how long to leave training?

Craig.