Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Ras y Moelwyn

And a big shout to Kurmang Rashid, Blaenau's Kurdish baker, who finished in 2.55 and is a BIG guy!!

"You gotta put a little bit of ****ing fairy dust over the bastard"

Quote Originally Posted by Boy Wonder View Post
    And a big shout to Kurmang Rashid, Blaenau's Kurdish baker, who finished in 2.55 and is a BIG guy!!
    Mrs Splatcher & the Splatchettes had his bread with their lunch - apparently it was absolutely great (they didn't save me any). They also heard he was running when they bought their butties, & managed to spot him at the start. Clearly a star in the making.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Obviously there were no pies for the Splachettes (great name!)... Kurmang has eaten them all!
    "You gotta put a little bit of ****ing fairy dust over the bastard"

Rain, hail and snow showers accompanied me on my drive over to Blaenau Ffestiniog for this years, and my first, Ras Y Moelwyn. The discussion in the rugby club car park was what to or not wear for the 2nd race in this years WFRA championships as there was a cold wind blowing but when the sun came out, from behind some menacing looking clouds, it was quite warm.

Around 120 runners set off up through the now disused slate quarries, along the shore of Llyn Cwmorthin and up the ridge to Moelwyn Mawr. A steep descent to Bwlch Stwlan followed by the climb up to Moelwyn Bach. Down to Llyn Stwlan and across the dam wall before the final climb of the day up to Moel-yr-Hydd. Prior to this climb there were many boggy sections one of which was more like a very small llyn. As ran along the edge of it, in calf deep water, I grabbed hold of the adjacent fence for balance and the massive jolt to my right arm told me that it was electrified! My hand was still sore at the end of the race.

A final slippery descent led us back to the shore of Llyn Cwmorthin from where we retraced our outward route back to the finish at the rugby club. What a fantastic race route which has a bit of everything. I wore a HH lifa base layer and vest which was just about right, as the sun came out, no showers, but a bit chilly on the ridges. I got round in 1:56:55 in 37th place and either 2nd or 3rd MV60.

Boy Wonder, above #101, will be pleased to know that Kurmang Rashid was running today and completed the course and saved a little for a final sprint to the line.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 11-04-2022 at 12:33 AM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog