Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Salt - Performance Enhancer

Salt - Performance Enhancer

I'm interested in the effects that salt has on performance during runs - specifically on long runs over 20-30 miles.

The information I can obtain (mainly from american websites) shows that taking 'extra' salt, particularly prior to a long race, can be beneficial. Has anyone looked into this, or experience this ?

I feel that we all could be missing a trick here. Loads of americans swear by salt tablets for ultras, but I can find very little information in the UK.

Also I'm struggling to find a UK outlet for Saltsticks, Succeed Ultra, Thermatabs, etc. - all american variants of salt tablets.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

Cheers,

The Joker
    fell running.....are you trying to be funny?

Re: Salt - Performance Enhance

I always put a little in my lucozade before long races, this has always proved very effective in helping me avoid cramp.

Blimey I was expecting to be knocked off my feet with replies.

I was told as a youngster that salt would help avoid cramps - but this seems not to be proven. Which suggests that we are entering a bit of a black science particularly with cramps.

I actively don't add salt to anything and try to buy stuff that has very little, for as we are told too much salt is bad for you. It therefore occurs to me that maybe I/we am/are disadvantaged when it comes to running long distances. I know that around 30-40 miles I crave for things savoury. I've previously thought that this is because by that stage I'm sick of eating/drinking sweet stuff, and just want to clean my palate so to speak.

I have heard that americans rave about using salt for ultras, but hardly mentioned in UK.

The limited research I've done is basically have a fair amount of salt prior to a race, like the day before - your body will get rid of what it doesn't need. This will help with keeping the body hydrated. But be very careful during a race with salt (and other electrolytes) - ideally stick to isotonic drinks. Although there is a certain amount of salt lost in sweating, I understand that too much salt taken during a race can be as counter-productive as too little salt. However there is only so much isotonic drinks I can take, and would like to be able to replenish my salt levels without taking necessarily taking on carbs. I'm currently looking into Nuun tablets.

Anyone else out there having experiences of taking salt prior/during a race ?

The Joker (only I'm trying to be serious for a change)
    fell running.....are you trying to be funny?

Graeme

A few years ago when I was in the alps, I suffered terribly from cramps, from not taking in enough fluid/loss of salt through the day.
    I was talking to a couple of more experienced climbers than myself, they said they would actually lick table salt off the back of their hands, til almost sick and also put salt in their water fot the walk in. They seemed to think it worked.

Tried it didn't bother again though.

I suffer from cramp in hard races over about an hour and a quarter. I've always overloaded on Lucozade beforehand but it doesn't seem to work on races longer than that. Someone has recommended Dioralyte for salt prior to long races which I think I'll try next. I'll let you know how it goes. Has anyone else tried this?
    Fitness can't be stored. It must be earned over and over, indefinitely.

The late, great Arthur Newton in his book 'Running' advocates 3 heaped teaspoons of sugar to half a pint of lemonade liberally dosed with salt. He used this mixture on his numerous record breaking ultra runs, many in South Africa in very hot conditions,

I don't worry about eating too much salt - I lose so much through sweating and exercise that I think I probably don't get enough if anything.

One of the big risks with hot weather and exercise is that if you sweat out salt, but only take on water your ion balance will alter twice as much, with potentially very serious consequences. It can be the case that drinking water can do mroe harm than good.

I don't think a bit of extra salt can do too much harm during a race as it will just be excreted if necessary.

I was speaking briefly to Dic Evans ( a good ex Wales marathon runner) last year at a Montrail event I was organising. One of the things he said was most people underestimate the importance of salt during long runs, you must replace it. Stands to reason when you see the amount that dries onto clothing etc after a long hot day out.

Can't add more than that, but I often put a little bit in my drink and have a small tub with me for this weekend.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Haven't checked it out but from memory I thought that I had read that when you start running in hot conditions you lose a lot of salt. However as you acclimatise you sweat more water but less salts.

Also that heat acclimatisation was down to sweating more.

Suspect that this was in the Mike Stroud book.

Master and MR

i always put some salt in my meal after say 10 mile runs
    i sweat loads and always seems to be salt on my vests
    never tried some before a run mind
    next long un i will try some with lucozade or water