Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dark Peak Derwent Devil

Re: Dark Peak Derwent Devil

From what I understand from a certain Ginger runner it's alot like being a Landlord and forgetting which side of the bar to Stand on....

I understand a number of Dark Peakers will be making good use of this fine weather over the weekend, Good luck guys.. I'll try and join you from High Stones/Howden edge and go to... well lets see?

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    I understand a number of Dark Peakers will be making good use of this fine weather over the weekend, Good luck guys.. I'll try and join you from High Stones/Howden edge and go to... well lets see?
    Rather underestimated this one; a very tough day out on the back of an active preceding week. Struggled round eventually in a distinctly underwhelming 12 hours and 3 minutes, including at least two hours sat on our backsides enjoying the sunshine and/or contemplating just how much more heather-bashing lay before us.

My fellow travellers had the good sense to bail out early; regrettably, this being an IDP production, pride dictated that I had to keep slogging on to the bitter end, complete with two or three little "additions" to the route. Notwithstanding the perfect visibility, I managed to miss Hoar Clough altogether and lead us some way west of Swains Head before establishing the error of my ways ... retraced our steps to SH and the 1894 stone, but decided at this point to give the optional Hoar Clough tea plant and Shepherds Meeting Stones a miss. Also gave up on the Barrow tea plant after a cursory search as time was marching on.

All things considered, an excellent excuse to visit a rich variety of curiosities and wildlife in the Upper Derwent (thanks Ian), but not an adventure to be taken lightly - worth knowing the best lines methinks; more Dozen than Killer.

If you put your back to the sign and walk down the right edge of the sandy clough you should find the tea plant approx 50-75m?
    B*gger. Should've taken note of this particular comment before setting out.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenFlash View Post
    Rather underestimated this one; a very tough day out on the back of an active preceding week. Struggled round eventually in a distinctly underwhelming 12 hours and 3 minutes, including at least two hours sat on our backsides enjoying the sunshine and/or contemplating just how much more heather-bashing lay before us.

My fellow travellers had the good sense to bail out early; regrettably, this being an IDP production, pride dictated that I had to keep slogging on to the bitter end, complete with two or three little "additions" to the route. Notwithstanding the perfect visibility, I managed to miss Hoar Clough altogether and lead us some way west of Swains Head before establishing the error of my ways ... retraced our steps to SH and the 1894 stone, but decided at this point to give the optional Hoar Clough tea plant and Shepherds Meeting Stones a miss. Also gave up on the Barrow tea plant after a cursory search as time was marching on.

All things considered, an excellent excuse to visit a rich variety of curiosities and wildlife in the Upper Derwent (thanks Ian), but not an adventure to be taken lightly - worth knowing the best lines methinks; more Dozen than Killer.
    well done Willy. good to see you "sticking it out"

sorry I couldn't make it, have a strange bug type think, coming round a bit so hope full of a cakey return tomorrow. Another trip round the upper don for you but this time with me guiding I think, I'll show you some nice shortcuts.

hope full of a cakey return tomorrow. Another trip round the upper don for you but this time with me guiding I think, I'll show you some nice shortcuts.
    Parents evening so won't be racing tomorrow - a tour of Upper Derwent shortcuts some time would be good though.

Sounds like a great route!
    Anyone run it recently?
    http://www.mikkmurray.co.uk - My art and running blog! Go on.. Take a look!

Quote Originally Posted by MickTor View Post
    Sounds like a great route!
    Anyone run it recently?
    I think a couple of DPers did it last year.
    Might have another bash to try a wrestle the record back from Steve Martin

Whats the record Ian?
    http://www.mikkmurray.co.uk - My art and running blog! Go on.. Take a look!

Quote Originally Posted by MickTor View Post
    Whats the record Ian?
    8.40 unless others know better. I've done it in just over 9 hours.

a yound whippet like you could beat that though.....if you find the best lines but you have to visit all the cps....

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...l=1#post327876