Thread: BGR Training

BGR Training

Hi All,

First time posting but was hoping to draw on some advice for BGR training. I've run a couple of the legs indivdually in about 21hr pace, but obviously couldn't keep going for the 24hrs.

What's the best way to prepare for the entire round, how many hours do I have to clock on the mountains in one go/overall?

I've already looked at Bob Wightman's site but wondered if there was any further info people could give.

Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers
    Last edited by Frankie's Beard; 18-04-2010 at 06:07 PM.

Re: BGR Training

If you get a day or two of twelve hours or so in (not necessarily running but big long days in the fells) then that is probably as much as you need. Any more and you are unlikely to be able to train for several days afterwards which sort of negates the training effect. It's when you get to the end of a leg and think that it was a short run that you are starting to make progress.

As for when you are ready - well only you will know that,
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

As Bob has mentioned, long days in the hills have to be the best.
    I got as many days in as possible building up from one leg to two or three in one go. helping others on their rounds is a great way to pick up tips, route knowledge etc as well as building up the mileage and helping others out. They will also return the favour when you are ready...i've made a few good friends over the last 4 years through mt BG preperation.

Not had much experienced on the fells but i have found plenty of helpful advice on here, i looked through old posts and found a mountain (pun intended) of information. You can't beat time spent out there running the route, i did legs 1 & 2 today and found it hard. Plenty more time on the fells required doing support for others before i have a go myself.

In my experience, you will always feel quite knackered after a double leg carrying your own kit, it's just not best to think about being more than twice that knackered on the actual day, hopefully it won't be that bad.

I have found this in other sports too, I've done few marathons and a couple of IronMan triathlons. If I thought how I felt at the end of a marathon and then thought if I could do 112 miles on my bike and a long swim before that, then I would have said it wasn't possible but it was. My marathon time was only about a third longer too.

I have done several double legs this winter, always felt done in at the end and am going for my round on May 1st.

I think that time on your feet is a key thing - I lived in London when I was training for my round and, apart from coming up to the lakes, used to do long loops in the surrey hills as well as laps and laps of Richmond Park or on a stepping machine- mind you, I wasn't too quick, in 23:49 ! The BG really is a great thing - as much for the people you meet and the exploration as anything else. Have fun !
    Be what you wanna be !

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Beer View Post
    I think that time on your feet is a key thing - I lived in London when I was training for my round and, apart from coming up to the lakes, used to do long loops in the surrey hills as well as laps and laps of Richmond Park or on a stepping machine- mind you, I wasn't too quick, in 23:49 ! The BG really is a great thing - as much for the people you meet and the exploration as anything else. Have fun !

Pete,

You are far to modest. Your round was one of those that will go down in history as an Epic....

Training for a BGR should be all about enjoyment. If you cant get to the lakes, just lots of time on your feet as Pete suggests.

It was easy for me I just spend 10 week ends on the bounce traveling the 2 hours journey up to the lakes spending long days on the route. Best days of my life.

Ooodles of advice for the BGR in all sorts of places. It boils down to:

- time on your feet
    - getting the climbing in
    - getting your head sorted

12 hours+ days will sort the first one out, try and get half a dozen or so huge days in

Running and walking about 10,000 feet a week will get you strong enough - a rule of thumb which works for many but some can get round on a fair day with less

As for your head, again, long days will help, as will getting out in bad days and knowing the route and what awaits. Helping other rounds is also a great way to get your head in the right place to make it. It's also a good way of garnering support should you need it. I'm helping two people this summer that helped me and i've already 'paid back' four or five rounds (always really good weekends!! )

Good luck

Thanks for all the advice chaps.

Will bear all that in mind.

Cheers