View Poll Results: How often do you stretch?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • pre run

78 100.00%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How often do you stretch?

Re: How often do you stretch?

To be serious for a min, i never stretch, if it works or not is beyond me. i just set off running slow and ease off from there! But i rarely have any problems. why don't i stretch? simples, lazy git!
    Short arms and deep pockets. A yorkshire man.

60 pull ups before a race and 30 after - if I don't do it I can't sleep that night cos of backache. I got this tip from Prince Charles' masseuse!!

Sounds familiar. I stretch when I put my back out, should do it as preventative really.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Almost never before, during or after running; I just like to naturally warm-up into a run and slow down after one. A good friend gave me the mantra to "let the run come to you", that is what I do. Start off comfortably and keep it that way.

Occasional stretching during the day when sitting around makes me tighten up.

As time's gone on and the more physios, coaches etc I've spoken to, the main reason to stretch is not to undo the tightnesses etc brought on by running but to address the tightnesses and imbalances brought on by too much time spent sitting at desks, driving cars or slumped in front of the tv. We evolved as a running/hunting species and our bodies can't cope with the amount of inactivity we inflict on them... they try to adapt to what we spend the majority of our time doing by tightening the hamstrings and hip flexors etc but, then when we do try and run, we're compromised.

I tend to do 20 minutes each evening in front of the TV consisting of 5 minutes each side of both of these stretches. Works for me...

First is a hamstring/hip flexors counter stretch. With this stretch, as you target the hamstrings on one leg the hip flexors on the other are stretching. The tightness of one muscle group provides a counter strain to the other. Also, you’re having to recruit all of your core muscles to maintain balance and good posture in this stretch. Begin by kneeling on one knee and then straighten the other leg out in front of you. Ease into the stretch by sliding the heel of the straight leg further away from you. Resist the temptation to open out your hips and actively twist towards the extended leg to prevent this. Hold for 2-5 minutes and then repeat the other way.

Second is an Indian Knot. Focussing on the buttocks and also the sciatic nerve it targets an area that is also often related to tightness in the hamstrings. Sit on the floor with one leg bent in front so the heel rests near the opposite buttock. Cross the other leg over, maintain a strong core and elongate through your spine. You should aim to distribute your weight evenly through both buttocks although don’t be surprised if one side is elevated. As you ease into the stretch it will even out. Hold for 2-5 minutes and then repeat the other way.

I used to be a stretch sceptic, but knee problems stoped me from running on hills for about 9 months until eventually I went to a physio. Against my "better" judgement I started stretching as instructed, and after just a few weeks my knees started to get a whole lot better. I'm now a convert (but still find them a pain to do!).
    Best time o do them is psot run or after a hot bath, with warm muscles.

Me too Stumpy.

I never used to bother stretching even though I knew it was good for me and then my knee injury played up and the physio insisted on strength exercises and lots of stretching. I now do two sessions of yoga a week and intermittent stretching after runs (ie I try to stretch after a run but sometimes I forget or get sidetracked by a cup of tea!). My hour of intense yoga on a sunday night has really helped with recovery after sunday races or hard runs.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    I used to be a stretch sceptic, but knee problems stoped me from running on hills for about 9 months until eventually I went to a physio. Against my "better" judgement I started stretching as instructed, and after just a few weeks my knees started to get a whole lot better. I'm now a convert (but still find them a pain to do!).
    Best time o do them is psot run or after a hot bath, with warm muscles.

...and that indian knot thing that Nikalas pointed out is brilliant. Someone else also mentioned loosening joints before a run as opposed to stretching. I've found that is really good when I remember to do it.

Always post run. Never before. stretching after helps recover. stretching cold muscles (pre) weakens them.

Quote Originally Posted by GlenBorrell View Post
    Always post run. Never before. stretching after helps recover. stretching cold muscles (pre) weakens them.
    would agree with this largely, but find dynamic stretching helps as part of pre-race warm up - especially for a short fast one when you're setting off quickly