View Poll Results: Separate dates?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Separate dates for the races

20 100.00%

Thread: Wadsworth Trogs

Wadsworth Trogs

We've been debating within the club whether to separate the Wadsworth Trog and Half Trog onto different dates. The idea would be to keep the full Trog on its current date in February and hold the Half Trog in November as a more low-key event (from the pub rather than the cricket club, without sandwiches laid on afterwards but with food and beer available at the pub of course!)

So I wonder what you all think of this.

The Half-Trog was set up a few years back because it was felt that many people thought the Trog was too tough, and doing the Half one year would give them the confidence to step up to the Full the next. But in practice the Half Trog has become an individual race in itself, and several people have said they would like the races separated so that they can do both.

The pros for splitting are:
    - people can run both races if they want
    - we have to limit the total number of runners to 200 so always end up turning people away. If we had separate dates we would be able to allow more people in

The cons are:
    - often people drop from the Full to the Half on the day if they are unfit or the weather is poor. That wouldn't be possible
    - more organisation and work
    "And the winds blow and the sky looks cool / So I make my home in the clouds"

Re: Wadsworth Trogs

I've voted for separate dates and would be keen to do both. It's obviously up to the club because of the extra work involved and whether the race calendar can accommodate a new event comfortably.

Depending on where the weekends fall, I think November looks like this for Yorkshire/Lancashire races. Does anyone know of any I've missed? And any views on how well an extra race would fit in?

last wkend Oct/1st Nov - Great Whernside
    2nd wkend Nov - Shepherds Skyline
    3rd wkend Nov - nothing local?
    4th wkend Nov - Tour of Pendle
    last wkend Nov/1wkend Dec - nothing local?

I voted for separate dates as it'd be good to do both but also, the half would act as a recce for the difficult parts of the full. It'd be quite unusual to have them on different dates but maybe you'll start a trend!

When do you set a date for the full? (I'm putting off booking my next holiday as I don't want to miss this race).

Separate for me as well. It would be good for the CVFR marshalls/helpers as well as they could run one and still help out at the other.
    No country for old men.

I did the half trog one year and wouldn't consider doing the longer version. So I voted to keep them on the same date to keep your time and effort down.

Bill, appreciate all the hard work that goes into the day, but I say split. Let's have the chance to do the double. A nice additional local race for November, bring it on!
    Clive, Hebden Bridge

Separate dates seems like a good idea to me but...

...when's The Roaches? Popular/hard 15 miles for lots of Peak folk.

fb
    The spirit is willing but the flesh is weak...

Tony Vardy

Maybe try it for a year and see what the extra workload is like. With 200 in each event you may begin to fall foul of the same bodies that Dave Woodhead has with his series of races though the numbers are smaller.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back