Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting started properly

Getting started properly

Hi,
    I've dabbled with fell/trail-running for a while now. Having had dodgy ankles for years (including surgery), I tried fell shoes for hill-walking, as I was advised that feet can be more stable in shoes rather than boots ... I couldn't agree more and have had no problems at all. Having always hated road-running, I have started to jog about a bit when on the fells and (to my amazement) have really enjoyed it.

My problem is breaking into more sustained running on the fells. I am a fairly quick hill-walker and it is usually only runners who pass me. However, the move from a brisk walk to a slow run seems really difficult and a huge step. I can run uphill, but only for fairly short bursts, even when going very slowly. Can someone recommend a tried and tested way of building up? When I was still at school, I "taught" myself to run by the run-walk technique ... gradually increasing the running and decreasing the walking, but this was a long time ago. Would this be a good tactic in the hills too? I'm just lacking a bit of motivation / confidence at the moment. Moel Famau is my nearest fun hill, just 15 minutes away, and I would be incredibly proud if I could build up to running it, however slowly. I'm not looking for speed or competition, but would love to take this on as a personal challenge. I'm reasonably fit already, but realise that I have a way to go if I am going to achieve this.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Getting started properly

Hi August and Welcome.

Sounds like you are heading the right way.

2 things to look at.

Try find an easier hill and run all the way, gradually finding steeper hills. this can take quite a while to build up strength.
    but probably the best way is hill reps. find a short steep hill, Warm up with some gentle flat running then at a steady pace run up 100m or as far as you can manage. jog gentle back down, Repeat say 5 times. Next time try go 110m or do it 6/7 times slowly increasing the difficulty.
    Don't forget to warm down afterwards.

Once this has been achieved try increasing the effort by running it faster. It is hard work but it will work, unfortuanatly there are no easy quick fixes.

And find a club to join. There's plenty of other novice runners in clubs, they're not all hard-core psychos, and you'll pick up advice from the experienced members and synergy from the other beginners.

Super Moderator

August, don't loose sight of fact that the majority of 'fellrunning' involves some walking too. Even the very best runners walk the steepest inclines and for mortals it's often easier and more efficient to do so
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Thanks for that, DT, I'm still licking my wounded pride after PPP, where I managed to walk even some of the flat bits to keep calf cramp at bay.

I walked more of the Anni Waltz than I ran (hence coming in near the back) but hey ho...just get out there and enjoy those hills
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot

Nowt wrong with walking, i've done more walking than running in the last few months. Run when you can, walk when you want, go at your own pace and as MG says enjoy.
    Good point by Brotherton Lad, join a club. Might do that myself just for a kick up the motivational arse!

Angus,
    Good advice fron IanDP above.
    If you're really starting from scratch, you could start running on the flat, on grass, round a football field or in a park, till you can do say 20-30 mins at a comfortable pace without stopping. Then try some gentle hills, train and rest and so on. You've apparently got cardio-vascular fitness already, but your muscles have to adapt to running (if I've had a long break, I find the muscles that give me the most grief are in my neck, cue jokes about having a big head!). Once you're happy with that, take to the slopes. The hill you're after is there to be yours, but don't expect to conquer it without some preparation. Good luck.
    Last edited by Brotherton Lad; 01-05-2010 at 03:05 PM.

Thanks for all the helpful replies and sound advice - your time and experience are genuinely appreciated.

I have the disadvantage / blessing of a husband with years of cross-country / fell-running under his belt, who would love me to get involved, but I cannot live up to his expectations just yet (and I have a lazy gene too). Moel Famau is a wonderful walk / run, but I agree that it might be better in the interim to try some local gentle stuff. That will be mainly roads nearby, but fortunately nothing is particularly flat nearby. I'm horribly tied to reading and writing workwise at the moment, so need to make time to go for a regular runs over the next few weeks, if just to escape the computer! I will also persevere with the run / walk routine on MF, asI just love the views and the solitude out there.

Thanks again and keep the advice coming in: it really helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Angusthewestie View Post
    Thanks for all the helpful replies and sound advice - your time and experience are genuinely appreciated.

I have the disadvantage / blessing of a husband with years of cross-country / fell-running under his belt, who would love me to get involved, but I cannot live up to his expectations just yet (and I have a lazy gene too). Moel Famau is a wonderful walk / run, but I agree that it might be better in the interim to try some local gentle stuff. That will be mainly roads nearby, but fortunately nothing is particularly flat nearby. I'm horribly tied to reading and writing workwise at the moment, so need to make time to go for a regular runs over the next few weeks, if just to escape the computer! I will also persevere with the run / walk routine on MF, asI just love the views and the solitude out there.

Thanks again and keep the advice coming in: it really helps!
    Just live up to your own expectations Angus, sure your husband will be proud, there's a lazy gene in everyone but views and solitude is an antidote for that.
    Love the avatar.