Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Cake Race

Agreed, a thumbs up from me. Made the trip up from Leek worthwhile. The cakes, prizes and organisers/helpers were great. Helped to shake last week's PPP out of my legs...almost!

Today's Cake race set 1 album of photos on https://plus.google.com/photos/110439573756197443848/albums... more to follow

Normanton, Wakefield. West Riding of Yorkshire
    Briefly spoke to a lady in my local Co-Op, who came in with muddy legs & still wearing Mud-Claws

She told me she'd been down at Diggle
    I'd just called in, on my ride back from watching the Tour, as it passed through Bubwith

I'm certain this was her; https://plus.google.com/photos/11043...73756197443848
    Generally to be found plodding along with 'www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk'

Saddleworth Harriers Cake race set 1 & 2 album of photos on https://plus.google.com/photos/110439573756197443848/albums

Master
    Powered by Ugali.

'Let them eat cake'

Oh blimey! That's just what I did to the point of feeling queasy....I can't resist a good cake. First the cake had to be earned and what better way to have a guilt free cake session than a ten mile fell race.

To my knowledge The Cake race is unique in it's format: turn up for the race with a homemade cake and you're granted a free race entry. After the race all the cakes are spread out for the runners to devour. Not before a cake competition is carried out to judge the best looking and best tasting....cake, not runner. All that's asked for is a £2 donation for a brew and whichever cakes take your fancy, it's like an all you can eat cake buffet.

My hometown of Chorley is probably best known for the Chorley cake. Today, 7 Chorley runners made the trip to the small Greater Manchester village of Diggle for the mouth-wateringly named Cake Race. Surely there could only be one outcome?....yes you guessed it, none of us from Chorley won, where's the justice?

Any cake references in the following report are totally coincidental....

It was my first time at The Cake race and I was surprised with the large turnout on what was an already busy day on the fells with 3 Peaks and Coniston also on. The quiet location of the race headquarters made for tight Parkin.

Pre-race I had a panic on when I couldn't find my last minute carb loading banana. After turning my kitbag upside down it was panic over when a battered and bruised banana dropped out.....result.

From the off it's a uphill start that's very runnable along a wide track that leads onto the moors. Once on the moors it's evident the ground is extremely dry and any peat encountered has lost its sponge effect underfoot.... I love running over spongy peat, oh well not today. There's plenty of flagstones to run across which can be treacherous when wet but most are also bone dry.

Various sections of the route are familiar after having raced Trigger, Utterly Butterly and Ian Roberts fell races around these parts in the past. We also encountered parts of the Pennine Way which was a trip down memory lane after doing it years ago.

The run down towards Marsden is hard on the feet especially with worn fell shoes that are sporting pancake flat studs. I'm relieved when the track ends and the long flight of stone steps that go down the side of the dam is reached. It's great running down the steps...disengage and attack them like a fruitcake. The steps on the other side were surprisingly easy to run up until I lost my rhythm whilst avoiding a dog crap covered step....I'd suddenly lost my appetite for chocolate cake.

Back onto the moors and it's not long before the outward track is rejoined and a quick downhill blast has the finish in sight.

Congratulations to race winner Ben Coop of Bury AC....rumours of a name change to The Black Pudding race are unconfirmed.

Many thanks to Tanya and all involved.
    Last edited by Tindersticks; 29-04-2017 at 11:53 PM.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.