Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How do......

Re: How do......

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    I have just obtained a gene splicing machine and taken swabs from a selection of fell runners. From it, I intend to clone the perfect fell runner:

1. Simon Bailey's legs (they're twice the size of mine, which is cheating for a start)
    2. Rob Jebb's cardiovascular system (although you could argue nurture rather than nature with all that cycling)
    3. Ian Holmes' ankles, spacial reasoning and training dedication
    4. Lloyd Taggart's pain threshold (only a crazy person would race that often unless they couldn't really feel it)
    5. My ears (very handy with following winds up hills - you've either got them or you haven't)
    6. Al's spelling (everyone needs an achilees heal)
    Is this part of your new career as a philosopher?
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Is this part of your new career as a philosopher?
    I'm still keeping up the day job just in case philosopher redundancies are introduced after the election.

I think Trog is right. Matthew Syed who is a sports writer for the Times and a former olympic table tennis player has just released a book called Bounce. He has looked at the up to date science etc and (I think, I have only read extracts) concludes that those who achieve at a very hich level in almost every endeavour simply work harder. You get out what you put in.
    Looks like an interesting read.

Quote Originally Posted by Trog View Post
    Every now and then on this forum, hidden amongst the niff naff and trivia of ‘Todays Runner beans’ pops out a little gem like this question.

There have been some interesting comments so far, but probably the biggest reason above all else mentioned so far is:

Desire

Without that burning desire to get there at all costs you simply wont make it

As Paavo Nurmi said “Mind is everything—muscles pieces of rubber. All that I am, I am because of my mind.”

Are you devoting 2000 hours a year to training?

What did you do on the Bank Holiday – a family trip to the seaside or 6 hours of training?

Which is your most important race in 2012, are you preparing for it now?

Of course we do not all have that level of desire and often running is some way down the list of priorities, but if you set yourself realistic targets, plan a progressive programme and carry it out over the next 12 – 24 months you will finish further up the field.
    I wish I new the answer you seek but 2000 hrs of running ! since I started in 2004 I've tried to average at least 10 hrs per week maybe I need to cut down to 2000!

Should have worked that out first ! 2000 hrs you've got to be Kidding

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    I'm still keeping up the day job just in case philosopher redundancies are introduced after the election.
    Is a philosopher ever made redundant? Discuss.

This is a good question and one that I thought about alot when I started fell running. Having significantly improved, with a small amount of time on the fells, I am starting to believe that those runners at the front are human and beatable after all. Desire and belief has alot to do with it but I honestly think that I can get within 5 mins of Bailey et al in next years Long Mynd (18 this year but lost for about 10 mins of that).

Al told me once that in watching the front boys, the biggest difference was there ability to recover and go straight after a heavy climb. If you can develop your fitness to improve significantly here the margins will be smaller.
    The Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Scott View Post
    This is a good question and one that I thought about alot when I started fell running. Having significantly improved, with a small amount of time on the fells, I am starting to believe that those runners at the front are human and beatable after all. Desire and belief has alot to do with it but I honestly think that I can get within 5 mins of Bailey et al in next years Long Mynd (18 this year but lost for about 10 mins of that).

Al told me once that in watching the front boys, the biggest difference was there ability to recover and go straight after a heavy climb. If you can develop your fitness to improve significantly here the margins will be smaller.
    The last bit is certainly ture....just watch warfe's video from coniston.....jebby comes past breathing like a ragin bull....they are suffering but they just push through.

I don't think the difference can be purely due to hard work. If you look at kids in the playground, some are faster than others. This is normally due to their gait and natural physique. If you took a whole class of kids and they all trained like olympic athletes, you'd still find the best ones to start with were the best ones to finish with.

I'm fairly sure I could get closer to the elite of fellrunning, but probably not quite as good. I am guessing that most of them have natural ability plus application.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is how old you are when you're trying to make these large improvements. I think if you're into athletics and running as a kid, your body can adapt a bit more than it can when you reach my age.

I have simular times to The Reverand (at least I did 25 years ago) and i am sorry to say that if you have already been training for several years no matter what you do it is highly unlikly you will ever compete with the very top guys.
    It is as they say ,all in the genes.the question of "how to become a champion?" was answered years ago"choose your parents wisely".
    The one stipulation I would say is that unless you have trained up to and above 100mpw then you will never know your full potential