Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: London Fell Running Club

London Fell Running Club

As a keen fell runner trapped in the confines of the capital, it seems to me that although many of London's running clubs support fell running in one form or another (e.g. Serpentine, London Heathside, Orion Harriers, Cambridge Harriers etc) there would be many advantages if there was a club explicitly centred around promoting the sport here in the big smoke. Forming 'London Fell Runners' or similar could have a number of advantages including:

1. Allowing more shared travel/accomodation arrangements for those Londoners heading north for races and training;
    2. Providing the opportunity to compete as a team in fell races and relays which usually isn't possible with the 'conventional' running clubs due to sheers lack of numbers;
    3. Generating more opportunities to train for fell running, both on trips to the UK's mountains, as well as searching out the more hilly bits of terrain close to London (e.g. Hampstead Heath, Epping Forest, Box Hill etc)
    4. Creating a social fell running 'community' in the capital, similar to the very successful moutaineering clubs (e.g. London MC, North London MC, Marylebone MC etc) with talks, pub meets etc

It seems likely that such a club would not be most poeple's first claim club, (although this could happen in time) but could be second claim for those interested in the sport, and would complement the activites of the traditional running clubs.

It may well be that such an idea has been discussed in these forums or elsewhere in the past, and if so it would be great to know what, if anything, came of it. If not, I'd be really interested to see if fellow forumites think that this is something that could work, and if there would be much interest.

Thanks in advance,

Alex

Re: London Fell Running Club

Primrose Hillybillies perhaps?

Nowt ails a good bread eater!

Lola

Alex,

Clearly, London is a BIG place so a single regular meeting place might not attract a wide audience and a rolling set of locations always involves some lost soul turning up to the wrong place (no I've never done it). A 'virtual' club such as the Pony's might fill the need better. One suggestion, Brett may have views that could help, would be to use a spot on the Forum for admin/race details. You could still advertise at traditional club locations to attract members away from the Medusa-like 'Serpies'. Subs, claims etc would be as for a normal club but you would use the 'cloud' for normal Sec or Treasurer functions.

Alex, this already exists! The Hyde Park Fell Running Club (4 members and counting) has already had its first club run...6pm meeting point on the bridge over the park lane end of the serrpentine. Do a search to find the thread.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Thanks for the replies.

I'm not sure if my searching skills are up to much, but can't seem to find any evidence of a thread on the Hyde Park club - any chance of a link? Lola - I think you're right about the size of London meaning that the 'virtual' aspect of a club would be very important and I suspect that regular mid-week training might be tricky. But you never know until these things get off the ground, and a formal (EA affiliated) club would provide a focus for competion, lift sharing and training at weekends.

I've had some interest so far, and I suspect there may be quite a few Londoners who have joined Cumbrian fell clubs as a result of the lack of one down here. If you're interested, please drop me a line.

Cheers,

Alex

Feet in the Cowclaps

Thanks FITC. Knew I could rely on a Brycheinogion to point the way. Alex, if you want to be prime mover behind HPFRC be my guest....I have found it difficult to get out lately. BUT I would be happy to reconvene this Wednesday. 6pm on the Park Lane end Serpentine Bridge (just by the cafe). Lets go clockwise so we can do ZHR's sand running uphill.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Hi Alex
    I know it's not in London, but Tring Running Club (just under 40 minutes by train from Euston) has a hard core of about twelve to fifiteen fell runners who regularly compete in the hills, including, I think, five BGers amongst us, for example.

We often hook up for local runs in the Chiltern Hills as well. There are some great hilly circuits around us, from 16.5 miles upwards. I live in Berkhamsted, but work in Marble Arch. I may be moving to London soon, but will most likely remain a Tring runner as first choice club. It's a fantastic club to belong to and would find it hard to leave behind!

Your idea is a sound one, though.

Regards
    Henry

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    Thanks FITC. Knew I could rely on a Brycheinogion to point the way. Alex, if you want to be prime mover behind HPFRC be my guest....I have found it difficult to get out lately. BUT I would be happy to reconvene this Wednesday. 6pm on the Park Lane end Serpentine Bridge (just by the cafe). Lets go clockwise so we can do ZHR's sand running uphill.
    gah, I have an appt with the army blokes again in Clapham at 6pm - sorry I'm not exactly a pillar of the HPFRC at the moment ...

Alex, I think your idea is an excellent one, I was thinking the same thing only the other day. I think if it became well enough known and gained a critical mass, there would be a lot of interest in such a club, for the purposes you list - especially sharing costs of transport and accommodation to go to races, and for weekend training runs. For instance, I met a few people from Serpentine RC at the Box Hill race who were keen to get into fellrunning but were a little bit stumped as to how.

I also know a few people who go to these BMF classes who would be right into it - including the instructors.

For training, I currently take myself off from Clapham Junction to the Surrey Hills every Saturday morning, to get my hill-miles in - and sometimes think it would be good to have company.

If I was more committed to staying in London, I would definitely be interested in helping to establish it, it'd be great little project.

So let me think on that!
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 19-05-2010 at 10:13 AM.