Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Backpacks for running

Re: Backpacks for running

I've done a lot of miles with the Raid Light Endurance this year and have finally fallen out with it.

Features are great andit is compatible with the RL strap mounted bottle holder.

The issue I have is that it is so damn heavy, compared with a Last Drop for instance.

I have just got an OMM iDrate from Blands (£10 cheaper than most other spots) which is 12 litre capacity, separate pocket for bladder (which is not next to the back panel and is my preferred option for long alpine races where refilling the bladder is a must), 2 big mesh pockets and 2 waist zipper pockets. Lightweight fabric and feels about half the weight of the Raid Light (though I'm sure its not).

I also got the OMM bottle holder which attaches just the far side of the waist pocket and is a much subtler and lighter contraption than the RL integral version

Off to the Alps at the weekend so it will get a good testing, including in the Marathon du Mont Blanc on 27 June.

Happy to report back later!
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Super Moderator

Enjoy the Alps Morgan

I really didn't get on with OMM Last Drop I borrowed off Stef for Mallerstang Yomp t' other week. Chafed me all over shoulders, back, neck etc
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Enjoy the Alps Morgan

I really didn't get on with OMM Last Drop I borrowed off Stef for Mallerstang Yomp t' other week. Chafed me all over shoulders, back, neck etc
    Thanks mate. Looking forward to the MduMB, but not the heat.

Understand re the Last Drop; those straps are skinny. They get easier with practice! Used the LD at Duddon and was like meeting up with an old friend.

The iDrate straps are a good bit more padded than the LD.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by BGSec View Post
    Thanks mate. Looking forward to the MduMB, but not the heat.

Understand re the Last Drop; those straps are skinny. They get easier with practice! Used the LD at Duddon and was like meeting up with an old friend.

The iDrate straps are a good bit more padded than the LD.
    Don't think it helped that I only wearing a vest rather than anything with sleeves

I've got a 6 or 7 year old Camelbak Cloudwalker and that is very comfie
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by BGSec View Post
    I've done a lot of miles with the Raid Light Endurance this year and have finally fallen out with it.

Features are great andit is compatible with the RL strap mounted bottle holder.

The issue I have is that it is so damn heavy, compared with a Last Drop for instance.

I have just got an OMM iDrate from Blands (£10 cheaper than most other spots) which is 12 litre capacity, separate pocket for bladder (which is not next to the back panel and is my preferred option for long alpine races where refilling the bladder is a must), 2 big mesh pockets and 2 waist zipper pockets. Lightweight fabric and feels about half the weight of the Raid Light (though I'm sure its not).

I also got the OMM bottle holder which attaches just the far side of the waist pocket and is a much subtler and lighter contraption than the RL integral version

Off to the Alps at the weekend so it will get a good testing, including in the Marathon du Mont Blanc on 27 June.

Happy to report back later!
    Its heavier than the Raidlight Morgan 725g vs 550g

I wish the mesh pockets where bigger though and I've lost two bottles and a pair of gloves from the waist bottle holder

Have a great time in the Alps
    Bill

I'm thinking about getting a vented pack (berghaus freedflow or deuter AC lite) but i'm worried that they're going to be pretty bouncy when loaded up. I have a decathlon bag that i've used on the last 2 omms but that makes the back of my coat ride up when running and isn't all that comfy (can't grumble tho- it only cost me £2) so i'm aiming to improve on that.

Just recieved a OMM Ultra 15L from Mountain Intelligence for £30. Very impressed on first looks, got all the features I have been waiting for in a day/lightweight overnight bag. Will be using it for my Pennine Way attempt. Check my blog to see how I get on with it.
    Mobile: 07854458103 Email: [email protected]

Just a quick one.

I've used my Inov8 for walking, but have decided to switch to something lighter for running.

Gone for the OMM Ultra 15L.

Just going to get a chest pouch and I-Gammy bottle holder.

However, has anyone tried the I-Gammy with a Raidlite water bottle ?

The reason being is that they are 750ml as opposed to 500ml, and have the Drinking Tubes & Nozzles.

Before I hit buy I thought I'd ask the question.

Quote Originally Posted by Bicycle Repairman View Post
    However, has anyone tried the I-Gammy with a Raidlite water bottle ?

The reason being is that they are 750ml as opposed to 500ml, and have the Drinking Tubes & Nozzles.

Before I hit buy I thought I'd ask the question.
    BR

I have been experimenting with this combination.

It works OK.

You will need to find the best position on the shoulder strap for the i-gammy; I've tried 2 different ones and have settled on a lower position.

Like any holder, it's more difficult to manage when the bottle is full; soon take care of that tho'!

Also need to keep your head up and away from the drinking pipe on descents, otherwise you can get a poke in the face.

The OMM 500 ml bottle is no match for the RL, so I will persevere with this set up.

hiya, i normally run with a bumbag so have no real experience with backpacks, im looking for one to help with supporting on bg rnds and long days out what something small to run in yet big enough to carry all my kit, and / or a bg rnd contenders kit / winter or summer rnds dont want a bladder in it just pockets for a couple of bottles
    i was thinking in the reigon of 12 - 15 ltr max would that do it? smaller the better?
    thanx