Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Walsh PB's with Lock Laces?

Walsh PB's with Lock Laces?

The laces on my PB's are frustratingly short, often coming undone or becoming impossible to undo when caked in mud after a long run. I tie them with a double knot.

Has anyone replaced their PB laces with lock laces is it worth it, should I persevere or is there another lace solution?

Re: Walsh PB's with Lock Laces

A word of caution: I did have a pair of those famous Salomon shoes with a plastic gadget on the laces. When it broke suddenly, as it it did, miles from anywhere in the middle of a forest after about 300 miles of use I couldn't fix it because I didn't have my specs with me and I ended up fastening the so-called lace under the sole of my shoe to keep the damn thing on. When I got back to base I discovered that inside this tough looking plastic outer-coating there was nothing more than a thin strand of cotton-like fibre. Fortunately the lace snapped when I was going uphill. Had I been going down a steep descent it could have been problematic.

In my experience it's better simply to use longer laces and then, if need be, tie them in a triple knot.

Good point well made!

I've worn Lock Laces in my fell shoes for 2 races now. The first was fine but last weekend my shoe was pulled off my foot completely in a tiny patch of bog despite it being quite dry underfoot. I've never had that happen before so will be reverting back to standard laces for fell runs. I still love them in my road shoes though.

What about Xtenex laces? They are elasticated laces with lumps in them. This means you can adjust the tension between the eyelets individually, which is impossible with standard elastic laces, but still have the elastic fit.

The other option (from orienteering) is to wrap your lace knots with black masking tape or duct tape before the start.

I've started doing reef knots, about 3 all on top of each other. Seems okay at the moment and uses less lace.

Thanks for the advice chaps.

I've been using lock-laces for ages now and I think they're great. I use them a lot for orienteering which is pretty demanding in terms of laces being pulled undone, shoes twisting and turning, etc... not had any problems!
    Geoff Clarke

I'm sure this was posted elsewhere, but I now use this knot all the time (even with everyday shoes) - it has NEVER come undone. The only time I ever use a double knot with it is when the laces are too long and I need to tidy them up (not usually a problem with my flippers) - it's really not needed with this knot. A work of genius; if there was a Nobel Prize for Shoe Tying, this guy should get it.

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/secureknot.htm

I use Solomon Speed Cross shoes with lock laces, and i find them really good. i use them for fell running and adventure racing and have had no problems with them at all. I have easily done more than 300 miles in them and there as good as new.

like everything its how you look after them!!!