Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Help Mega Blisters

Re: Help Mega Blisters

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    you mean you slap this on like vas before you run, or use like a regular treatment, like linseed oil on a cricket bat?
    Both!
    I rub the excess into my knees. Don't know if that does any good, but I have the feeling it's also something of a lubricant. It makes my socks give off a strange sweet smell but I've got used to it

ps- I've just noticed that it's recommended on the 'veloplus' mountain biker website (can't imagine what mb's use it for) and it's also on the top 10 list of things to put in the rucksack for the dedictaded pilgrim's 800kms walk along the jakobsweg...
    Last edited by woodlander; 14-05-2010 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post

I'm thinking of taping up to carry on training would compeed or second skin need to be put on before the tape?
    It'll only be once a week on a longer run as I'm sure its only a matter of time before the skin toughens up.
    I don't think you need to do other than put the tape on. I use tape direct on skin to prevent blisters - works fine.
    I think you only need compeed / ss if the skin is broken, weeping.
    Unless you maybe need more cushioning.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    The bigger problem is the other heel, its going to come off a some time and until it does its going to feel sore after a few hours would a pumice stone to thin down the skin so it comes away faster be ok.
    I'd reckon you should let it take its course.
    Witht the first heel you said the skin beneath was not weeping - So presumably had formed a true protesctive barrier whilst still under the old dead skin.
    If you accelerate the loss of the dead skin then the skin beneath may not be fully formed - raw, weeping, all kinds of pain and infection risk.

Ok Andy I'll leave it then.

Out for an hour this afternoon no problems at all, I was wearing nice tight shoes
    Bill

Any recommendations for a decent tape that is likely to stay put even after a few hours of running?

Quote Originally Posted by jmacewan View Post
    Any recommendations for a decent tape that is likely to stay put even after a few hours of running?
    aha, a good tip that was recently passed on to me: climbers' fingertape. Works a treat.

I've used it to go over plasters and am going to start using it to tape up to prevent blisters in problem spots too.

Leukotape Classic or Leukotape Sport
    I use 3.75 width for ankle protection and for blister prevention.
    Last edited by andy k; 19-05-2010 at 05:01 PM.

Zinc Oxide tape from the medical counter.

Used it many times - I found it best to use it in thin strips (1 - 2 cm width) and apply it where ever a hotspot occurs.

The stickyness is great and it is hard wearing.

Top tip though - once tapped up, use talc to remove any sticky residue otherwise this can cause your socks to attach themselves to the tape and cause the corners to roll up.

A thick layer of vasaline over the area can also assist.
    Paul C.

... continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

Quote Originally Posted by woodlander View Post
    Both!
    .... It makes my socks give off a strange sweet smell but I've got used to it
    Just don't run alone anywhere where they still have wolves

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    aha, a good tip that was recently passed on to me: climbers' fingertape. Works a treat.

I've used it to go over plasters and am going to start using it to tape up to prevent blisters in problem spots too.
    Be careful with fingertape as it is very abrasive. I used it to wrap an erant toenail while it was in the process of coming off once and then went for a long run, the tape rubbed a huge hole in the next toe!! OK for heels but don't wrap your toes in it!!

Most tapes I've tried are useless for a long run in the wet. Still looking for one that stays put!

A heavy dose of vaseline over the entire foot works for me, along with using wet shoes. Oh and finding shoes that don't rub!