Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: BG Attempts …..?

Re: BG Attempts …..?

Beautifully put.

As a rock climber I am very familiar with debates re style - they are largely a waste of breath - if you are doing the Round for yourself you choose the style that suits your objective - personally I am not bothered about doing it in 24hrs my challenge is not to give up - something that will be challenging enough for me and something I would be proud to have done (not give up that is). Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by merrylegs View Post
    Everyone needs a break from her/him indoors or the ironing, gardening, kids etc.
    There's an idea, solo/unsupported BG whilst ironing, leaving a neatly ironed item of clothing on each summit as proof you've been there, in a winter attempt the ironing board could be used on the descents (or would this be considered cheating like using walking poles)
    Very good post this Merry maybe you should suggest it to this bunch ?

http://www.extremeironing.com/
    No country for old men.

The incredible thing about the BGR is it is a personal challenge - there is no reason to do it other than all your own personal ones. The idea that any one should stipulate the 'right' way to do it is to miss the point altogether. At the weekend i paced someone (an ace experince) during which we encountered people going round in under 20 hours (which is surely a leasser hallnege because you aren't out for as long), people doing it over several days- I ran with someone who has done it solo and there are tales of extended, winter and double rounds.

For me attempting the BGR isn't about measuring myself against others its about measuring my self against me- and so I don't think it is reasonable to compare one persons challenge to anther persons

I can see sore legs point, and I know of a couple of guys and girls who've made solo attempts and successful attempts unsupported. It seems a shame ( and correct me if the rules have changed) that an attemptee cannot be trusted to record thier own timings at the summits. To say you've done Bob Graham and fib about it is just sad anyway.

I agree with baggins - it's about who you're with and where you are. But...should you want to do it sans support, do it like the big man himself. Bob Graham not only wore a thin cotton set of pyjamas as windproofs, he got by on boiled eggs and sweets. Oh, and he recced sections of it bare foot to save his shoes from wearing out. Add to that no pacers, and good luck, especially in those dark times that occur on long distance challenges...

Quote Originally Posted by hobbit botherer View Post
    But...should you want to do it sans support, do it like the big man himself. Bob Graham not only wore a thin cotton set of pyjamas as windproofs, he got by on boiled eggs and sweets. Oh, and he recced sections of it bare foot to save his shoes from wearing out. Add to that no pacers, and good luck, especially in those dark times that occur on long distance challenges...
    Err, sorry but Bob Graham had four pacers on his round in 1932 - they essentially relayed support with each doing more than one section. Graham himself also paced on both prior and later attempts at the record by Freddy Spencer Chapman. So not a modern part of the round.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

sorry bob, i was unclear in my wording, big Bob did have support, yes. But the bare foot thing? gritty.
    pain is weakness leaving the body