Thread: Anyone attend or remember this

Anyone attend or remember this

Couldn't believe my eyes when i saw this. Why can't they have stuff like this these days?!

Re: Anyone attend or remember

I remember watching a cyclo cross race coming along the top of Whernside a few years ago. I don't know if they still have it.
    Of course it's now the era of the tougher hardier go anwywhere mountain bikes.

advert: Gary Fisher gets to events in Bad Goisern (AUT). The Salzkammergut is an amazing place for mtb races!

Quote Originally Posted by woodlander View Post
    I remember watching a cyclo cross race coming along the top of Whernside a few years ago. I don't know if they still have it.
    Of course it's now the era of the tougher hardier go anwywhere mountain bikes.

advert: Gary Fisher gets to events in Bad Goisern (AUT). The Salzkammergut is an amazing place for mtb races!
    3 Peaks Cyclocross? Still going strong ;-)

The point I'm making is that they held the worlds at Roundhay park in Leeds. I know there are still plenty of cyclo cross races that go on in and around yorkshire and the UK. I just didn't know they held a race of such magnitude in a park that is at most 3 miles out of the city centre, and wish the same thing still happened.

I remember going to see this. Think the main reason was that Chiapucci was riding. Good event and spectator friendly. Good crowd from what I recall.

just watched video. Helluva crowd. Didn't see Chiapucci. In those days some of the top riders rode cyclo cross, Adri Van Der Pol springs to mind. Do they still?

Normanton, Wakefield. West Riding of Yorkshire

Quote Originally Posted by eavesy187 View Post
    The point I'm making is that they held the worlds at Roundhay park in Leeds. I know there are still plenty of cyclo cross races that go on in and around yorkshire and the UK. I just didn't know they held a race of such magnitude in a park that is at most 3 miles out of the city centre, and wish the same thing still happened.
    Click on pics to open/enlarge

I was there! (still got my programme & poster too!)

We saw the entire race from a couple of vantage points, but the best result of course was Roger Hammond taking Gold in the Junior race.

'We' being the girlfriend of the time (Joanne, now the wife), & some friends (we'd all ridden up from Wakefield)

Before the race started, Joanne & myself had been talking to Phil & Nora Thackray; the parents of Richard & Robert, who were seemingly 'permanant fixtures' in the British cross-squads of the time*

Hammond had been stopping with them prior to the event, so (presumably) he could get some 'last minute' training in with Rich & Rob, perhaps on the course itself - or sections of it?

Anyway, after the presentation, I bumped into Nora & Phil again, who were stood with Rogers mum & sister.

He came up, & thanked Nora for allowing him to stay, & in response to my congratulations, and a request for a look at the jersey/medal, he pulled up his coat allowing this shot to be taken

I've got lots more from the day, but they're all prints, & would take a lot of scanning in

The 'Nations Cup' also took place in Roundhay Park a couple of months previously, & was used as a 'test-run' for the 'Worlds' course

I took this one of Thomas Frischnecht, the then 'World Amateur Champion' at the 'Nations' (there was also a, 'Open Event' there, acting as a support event, but was 'Advance Entries Only'

Still got my 'BCCA' handbook for that year too, which proudly has the 'Worlds' logo on the cover, & details of the events inside

Eavsey
    Sadly Roundhay isn't used for cross, but Temple Newsam definately still is!
    There's one this summer (should be racing there myself)

It's changed side though - in the 1990's, we used the Avenue Woods side (1980's saw the bit by the Golf-course)
    2000's see the woods behind the running track (& 'top field') used

http://www.yorkshirecyclocross.org.uk

The 'track-league' still operates at Roundhay though

http://www.cycleroundhay.co.uk/

* They both fell-run too (as does Phil)
    Robert, youngest, runs for Bradford Triathlon Club (I think?)
    Richard, eldest, runs as a private member (or unaffiliated??/, or under his cycling clubs name; 'Bradford Olympic')

Edit.
    Saturday 15th @ 09:43

1. The British results for the 92 Worlds were;
    Junior
    1st = Hammond
    29th = Matt Guy @ 4:00
    34th = R.Bruce @ 4;27
    37th = Rob Thackray @ 4;57

Professionals
    1st = Mike Kluge (Germany)
    9th = David Baker @ 1:40
    25th = Steve Douce @ 4:27
    26th = Chris Young @ 5:20
    28th = Nick Craig @ 6:41

Amateurs
    1st = Daniele Pontoni (Italy)
    38th = Richard Thackray @ 6:50
    42nd = D. Brooker @ 7:38
    44th = Stuart Marshall @ 8:40
    52nd = C.Thompson @ 1 lap

2. As well as the programme, I've still got the celebratory issue of 'Cycling Weekly', with a scarcely believing (of his win) Hammond on the cover (in front of me as I update this posting)

3. 'Cycling Weekly' states that the crowd was circa 25,000!!!!

4. Hammond also put at least one other appearance in, in Yorkshire during his year in the 'Rainbow Jersey.
    I've got pictures of him competing in Myrtle Park (Bingley)

5. He was also back in Bradford in January 2009 for the British Cyclo-Cross Championships, but sadly only took Bronze (riding in plaincolours, I think it must have been just before he signed to Cervelo)
    Last edited by RichardAThackeray; 15-05-2010 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Additional information
    Generally to be found plodding along with 'www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk'