Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New member- " Hello"

New member- " Hello"

Just joined the forum and wanted to say "Hello"
    Actually I feel a bit of a fraud belonging to a fell running site as I have never actually ran on a fell although I have walked up a few.
    I am a keen cyclist and started running on the road to supplememt my cycling training.
    Although running on the road was okay I started running trails close to my home in North Yorkshire I found that this was actually easier on my knees and was certainly more stimulating.
    I now run regularly on the Cleveland/Hambleton hills and as my ability improves I would love to run on the "proper" fells.
    Since I could not find a "Wannabe fell runner" site, here I am.
    Nice to meet you all.

Re: New member- " Hello"

Not a bad spot to be based. Cycling on the black stuff's fine but running on it's just WRONG! Enjoy the hills and the forum.

Thanks for the reply - been out earlier tonight and got a hilly 40 miler in on the bike... going to try and get out for a run tomorrow if the legs feel okay.

Called in to my local "up and running" today and ordered some off road shoes nothing like and investment of cash to make you take things seriously !!!!

Hi dogfish welcome to the forum, don't worry about your lack of fell experience we're not all goliaths of the sport and some of us just can't stop being injured!
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Thanks for the welcome and the reassurance !!!

Was having a chat this morning with my brother in laws brother (if that makes sense)
    we were chatting away about dogs initially as he trains gun dogs to a high standard and I train dogs for a living, anyway he noticed some of my running kit blowing on the line and asked if i was "doing a bit" - oh yes says I and tells him that I have ventured into off road running.
    As conversation continues he casually and without any sort of boast or trumpet blowing mentions that amongst other things he has completed the KIMM 18 times, well you could have knocked me down with a feather he hadnt struck me at all as a runner, and it is a while since he last ran but nevertheless I was astonished.
    The expression "never judge a book by its cover" comes to mind !!!!!
    ..... RESPECT !!!

Hello Dogfish are you anything to do with the wonderful Dogfish Brewery in the States?
    http://www.dogfish.com/
    Whether you are or not fell running is good for your beer consumption (or is that the other way round?)

Oh Welsh Harrier - if only I was anything to do with a brewery.. I would have a lot more disposeable income to spend on my many other passions other than real ales.
    Sadly though I am not. In fact one of the reasons that I like cycling and running so much is that it allows me to indulge my passion for real ale without taking on the shape of a barrel of it.
    I train dogs as mentioned above and when I have the time I like to fish... hence "dogfish" ... not very inventive I admit but I had to call my self something and it seemed like all the cool fell type names were taken, and to be fair I didnt think I had earned a fellrunner name yet.
    I suppose I could of called myself "cyclebeerfishbeerrunabitdogbeerguy"

If you are running on the NY moors then join a club - either North York Moors (we train on Tuesday evenings) or Esk Valley. We have a few runners from Northallerton area including our fell manager Caroline. PM me if you want more details or check out the websites. We are running at Ainthorpe tonight if you want to train (Fox and Hounds pub) meeting at 6 or aletrnatively the Fox and Hounds fell race at 7.15

Cheers

Martyn

pm sent.

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Welcome aboard!
    If it helps make you feel better, I'm crap!!
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk