Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Cant come through 'ere mate"

"Cant come through 'ere mate"

On Tuesday I went for a local run, across the fields along some footpaths nobody every really uses and that I've only ever been on once or twice.
    There is a section that is poorly signed and I had to make up my own route through some woods to find the footpath again.
    I followed a footpath that I've used before, that brings you out to a farm house and some out-buildings.

There was a guy on the roof of a van, tying something down. I already knew that if I followed the track, maybe 1/2 a mile later I'd come to a road, but I didn’t want to seem rude or 'odd'....so I played dumb and asked which way the footpath went rather than blanking him and running past.

The guy was maybe 30, he told me that there wasn’t a footpath, and that I cant come through ere mate. He said I was on his bosses land and he wont be very happy if he see's me and he told me to leg-it and get off the land quickly.
    I told him that I'd just come off a marked footpath and It was pointing straight at the place we were standing at, he denied it once again and told me I cant keep coming though here.

Anyway, I did what he said, and followed the track to the road.
    When I got home I checked with my grandma and she said she's been that way before, and I went on multimap and used the OS feature and the footpath goes straight through the farm.
    So, the lad maybe didn’t know what he was talking about...perhaps not being local and he certainly didn’t look like a runner.

What should I do though, continue to use the footpath as im within my rights...and its a cracker of a route and risk getting an ear full.
    I thought of printing off the route and carrying it as proof incase Im questioned again.
    Last edited by Al Fowler; 17-05-2010 at 02:04 PM.

Re: "Cant come through 'ere ma

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    On tuesday I went for a local run, across the fields along some footpaths nobody every really uses and that I've only ever been on once or twice.
    There is a section that is poorly signed and I had to make up my own route through some woods to find the footpath again.
    I followed a footpath that I've used before, that brings you out to a farm house and some out-buildings.

There was a guy on the roof of a van, tieing something down. I already knew that if I followed the track, maybe 1/2 a mile later I'd come to a road, but I didnt want to seem rude or 'odd'....so I played dumb and asked which way the footpath went rather than blanking him and running past.

The guy was maybe 30, he told me that there wasnt a footpath, and that I cant come through ere mate. He said I was on his bosses land and he wont be very happy if he see's me and he told me to leg-it and get off the land quickly.
    I told him that I'd just come off a marked footpath and It was pointing straight at the place we were standing at, he denied it once again and told me I cant keep coming though here.

Anyway, I did what he said, and followed the track to the road.
    When I got home I checked with my grandma and she said she's been that way before, and I went on multimap and used the OS feature and the footpath goes straight through the farm.
    So, the lad maybe didnt know what he was talking about...perhaps not being local and he certainly didnt look like a runner.

What should I do though, continue to use the footpath as im within my rights...and its a cracker of a route and risk getting an ear full.
    I thought of printing off the route and carrying it as proff incase Im questioned again.
    Apart from your spelling/typos the final 2 sentences answer your question for you - so yes continue but worth taking the map to show anyone (assuming they are capable of reading/understanding the map!!).

It may also be worth contacting your local rights of way officer (Lancs CC for you?) to express concern about the lack of signing and ask them to liase with the farmer/landowner to ensure the FP is properly signed through the farmyard.

Quote Originally Posted by Multiterrainer View Post
    Apart from your spelling/typos the final 2 sentences answer your question for you - so yes continue but worth taking the map to show anyone (assuming they are capable of reading/understanding the map!!).

It may also be worth contacting your local rights of way officer (Lancs CC for you?) to express concern about the lack of signing and ask them to liase with the farmer/landowner to ensure the FP is properly signed through the farmyard.

I couldnt be bothered checking the spelling...I was trying to eat my dinner at the same time.

Contacting the rights of way officer is a good shout, I once tried it a while back about a farmer having blocked off a footpath...turned it into a fence for his sheep....I emailed the rights of way people to be told my local 'person' had just died.

As your local fella is now pushing up daisies - http://www.ramblers.org.uk/info/brit...law.htm#rights

This may assist with any questions you have - I had a similar thing in an area where I used to run as the path went right along the boundary of a secluded cottage and they objected to me running past there in the summer.
    Paul C.

... continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

Quote Originally Posted by sore legs View Post
    As your local fella is now pushing up daisies - http://www.ramblers.org.uk/info/brit...law.htm#rights

This may assist with any questions you have - I had a similar thing in an area where I used to run as the path went right along the boundary of a secluded cottage and they objected to me running past there in the summer.
    Thanks alot!

Ive had a search on google and theres a feature called 'mario maps'.
    It shows each footpath with a number, so when the nice people from the LCC get back to me with who they'd prefer I contact I can tell them the exact footpath that I got badly lost on, got a million and one nettle stings and got chased by some rather large dairy cows (all in the space of less than a minute) as well as my new friend who prefers me not to come through.

He's probably just a miserable git. I'd keep running there. It's not like he'll catch you if he sees you.
    Geoff Clarke

If it's marked on an OS map as a ROW path then take your map with you and show it to any one who complains. Politely point out that if you are refused or there has been a deliberate attempt to bar the path with barbed wire or growing holly etc then this will information will be passed on to the relevant authorities.

As someone who 'occasionally' runs across fields and through farms, I find that it helps not to look too professional with farmers - so wearing posh running togs with reflective stripes, hi viz colours, orange reflective triathlete sun glasses, pirate hats and humping huge garmins on your wrist is a no no and always likely to put the local farmer's back up. Equally you mustn't look too amateurish either - running in road shoes and clean running togs is a total give away and you'll have the dogs set on you before you can blink.

Ideally try and look like you know what you're doing and, if you stop to say anything, don't ask directions what ever you do. "Lovely day" will do just fine and it works even better if said when its actually pissing with rain. Old tatty running stuff, ideally plastered in mud is perfect equipment and maybe wearing normal shorts (I often wear what are essentially not too lary surfer beach shorts) rather than high cut running shorts (or worse still body hugging lycra cycle shorts) all adds to the 'I know what I'm doing so don't ***k with me' look.

I haven't been shot at yet
    Last edited by Stolly; 17-05-2010 at 02:58 PM.

Wise words indeed stolly

The 'lovely day' thing works though....I usually say "Reet" or "Oreet" very enthusiastically.....or even better, mutter something, go abit red in the cheeks and spit when I talk.....yeah, the farmers are inbred round here.

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    Wise words indeed stolly

The 'lovely day' thing works though....I usually say "Reet" or "Oreet" very enthusiastically.....or even better, mutter something, go abit red in the cheeks and spit when I talk.....yeah, the farmers are inbred round here.
    I get on quite well with the local farmers here.
    I think having a border collie helps as he is instantly something they recognise that they relate to. I very often stop and will point out a if someone has say trashed a stile or a gate has been left open etc etc. They are quite thanking of it.

There is one place that has lots of horses that has put an electric fence up with no way through it( ie a hook to lift off so you can get through) . I pointed that out and they sorted it. Not for me but for others who cannot get under it.
    In winter I will go off the paths when its dark just to alter my routes a bit. No one minds as lots of the paths never get used.

Having said that tonight probably someone will have a go at me.