Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Cant come through 'ere mate"

Re: "Cant come through 'ere ma

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    University of Pamplona? Had someone tipped you off about the copy of Studmarks they have in their library or what?
    Now Andrew, you didn't really expect me to tell a prosaic anecdote about some white-tile university did you?
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Lots of the footpaths round here actually went from farm to farm - one goes past our kitchen window. Lots of new comers don't like it, but make them apply formally for a diversion and get them to put proper access and signage on. This has happened a lot around here in the past 5 years, but you're still welcome in our garden!

The Peak and Northern Footpath Society do lots of work in resolving issues with footpaths in the Staffs/ Derbs/Yorks/ Lancs/ Merseyside area
    http://www.physiobench.com
    online physio treatment and advice

I emailed the Lancashire Country Cousil, and they requested I write a report stating everything and they will forward it to the relevant authorities. So Its in their hands.
    The person who contacted me seemed very helpful so only time will tell.

Al have you had a word with the land owner?

I wouldn't get the council involved over something a farm hand has said to you, best going for the person in charge, if they say the same thing then fair enough.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Baggins View Post
    Al have you had a word with the land owner?

I wouldn't get the council involved over something a farm hand has said to you, best going for the person in charge, if they say the same thing then fair enough.
    When I emailed them, I was more emphasising the poor footpath signage. I did mention about what the lad said and did state that he wasnt the land owner, just an employee. I'll propably run through their again next tuesday and I'll see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    When I emailed them, I was more emphasising the poor footpath signage. I did mention about what the lad said and did state that he wasnt the land owner, just an employee. I'll propably run through their again next tuesday and I'll see what happens.
    That sounds ok.

Yes I'd keep running through there if its a right of way.
    Bill

I've had every kind of treatment from farmers. Lately they've been just normal and friendly when I've waved and said "Hiya". One thing that does irk farmers is people who come on their land and don't say anything. They interpret that as stuck up townies who think they own the countryside.
    (One thing that irks me is other runners who don't acknowledge me when I say something... then I notice the wire dangling from their ears.)
    "I am not a number! I am a free man!"

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    As someone who 'occasionally' runs across fields and through farms, I find that it helps not to look too professional with farmers - so wearing posh running togs with reflective stripes, hi viz colours, orange reflective triathlete sun glasses, pirate hats and humping huge garmins on your wrist is a no no and always likely to put the local farmer's back up. Equally you mustn't look too amateurish either - running in road shoes and clean running togs is a total give away and you'll have the dogs set on you before you can blink.

Ideally try and look like you know what you're doing and, if you stop to say anything, don't ask directions what ever you do. "Lovely day" will do just fine and it works even better if said when its actually pissing with rain. Old tatty running stuff, ideally plastered in mud is perfect equipment and maybe wearing normal shorts (I often wear what are essentially not too lary surfer beach shorts) rather than high cut running shorts (or worse still body hugging lycra cycle shorts) all adds to the 'I know what I'm doing so don't ***k with me' look.

I haven't been shot at yet
    you haven't been shot yet as they can't hold the gun steady for laughing

Quote Originally Posted by Man from Del Monte View Post
    you haven't been shot yet as they can't hold the gun steady for laughing
    Says the man who runs in a cycling top covered in oranges