Thread: Calf muscle-what's going on?

Calf muscle-what's going on?

Tweaked my calf muscle a week or so ago, nothing too bad, the top of the muscle on the outside (I'm I being clear?) went to the phsio and after 45 mins of the usual pain, she said should be ok after a couple of days. So rested and streched for a few days, couple of bike rides and a flat 5 mile run and all seemed ok! Went for a gental hilly 5 miler today and now my calf (on the same leg) feels really sore but in a different place than before, it's now in the middle of my calf at the bottom of where the 2 muscles join! What the hell is going ? Help

Re: Calf muscle-what's going o

If the pain is moving around should mean there is tear.Try stretching your hamstrings this should help.

right update time.....the calf muscle feels abit tight this morning walking around but nothing too bad, ive not changed training/shoes/distance etc i'm at a loss to why this has happened any advice/experiance welcome, i just wanna run

just had a very helpful conversation with 'injury advice' on the phone regarding this calf muscle malarkie, got some great tips from him....i'll keep you all posted on how i get on(give him a bell if your hurtin too-he wont bite)

Super Moderator

If it torn it'll need 3-4weeks rest from running. Problem is it feels like its healed after 10-14days but its not healed properly. I tore my left last year and started very gentle jog walks after 4weeks. I was okay walking 2weeks or so after tear, which felt like I'd been shot. Search 'Torn calf recovery'. I had some good advice from forumites who'd had same/similar injuries
    Poacher turned game-keeper

right...it now appears that its not a calf injury (well not directly anyway) it sounds like the soleus muscle...... so that'll be rest and stretching-i can do the stretching bit but what is the rest bit?

Well nearly 2 months have passed and im finally back in the hills again! lots of stretching (and soul or should that be sole searching) changed my running style a fair bit and am really looking forward to racing again.

i think what i have learnt from this little episode is that although you think you can run, its just about putting one foot infront of the other right?, there is alot more technique involved than just hammering yourself into the ground every step of the way. the other thing ive learnt is dont forget to stretch your soleus..............see you on the hills
    How much is that doggie in the window.........?:w00t: