Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: change of shoes

change of shoes

Will I be able to get away with 2 pairs of shoes on my round?
    I like the idea of a change of shoes and socks at road crossings but I'm not sure if I can bring myself to buy 5 pairs of mudclaws. How many changes do other people do?

On my successful round I changed my shoes exactly nil times. Inov8 265's all the way

I did change my socks two or three times though

I wore a single pair of X-talons (and socks) all the way until Newlands Church, then changed into road shoes with fresh socks for the final run in to Keswick.
    Do what you like, like what you do

I appreciated changing socks and shoes after a wet CW Leg 1. I then alternated between three pairs of Speedcross. Like you I was a bit reluctant to shell out for several pairs but I get on with them and they served me well over the next year or two. You may well appreciate some extra padding. Even with the Speedcross the soles of my feet felt bruised for several days after. Not sure Mudclaws would have suited me on the BG but I guess you must feel happy with them. Good luck with your round!

I used 3 pairs, although if you keep your feet dry I guess you could use one. I used mudclaws for leg one, X-Talons for 2 and 3, for 4 and 5 I used Roclites 318s, the great thing about the Rocklites is that I was able to run on the road with them without issue. (I knew this before the round). I didn’t have a single blister; I did use two pairs of socks, a thin liner sock inside a “running sock” these were change when wet. If I had to have run in wet shoes for a while I am not sure this would be the case.
    Annan and District Athletic Club. http://www.adac.org.uk/

Super Moderator
    Two pairs of shoes is perfect. Mudclaws, or Walshes for the round and a decent pair of preferably black formal shoes for the dinner
    Poacher turned game-keeper

rsk don't risk it It all depends on the ground on your day and how well you've been abusing your feet My feet are prone to blisters, they are getting hardened as only been doing this fell/ultra running just over a year now.

I had 5 pairs of shoes and socks . Very worn out More Miles Cheviots on Leg 1, Hi-Tec trail shoes on Leg 2, two pairs of Mudclaws to Newlands and then Road shoes to the Moot Hall.

_|_
    ./\.

2 pairs for me. Mudclaws as far as Honister, then I changed into Roclite 315s. I only changed so as not to wear my studs out on the road though - I'd have been fine in the Mudclaws all the way. Or the Roclites for that matter, if it had been a bit drier.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    2 pairs for me. Mudclaws as far as Honister, then I changed into Roclite 315s. I only changed so as not to wear my studs out on the road though - I'd have been fine in the Mudclaws all the way. Or the Roclites for that matter, if it had been a bit drier.
    I went round in the same pair of Mudclaw 272s with a change of socks at Dunmail and at Wasdale. I could have done without the Dunmail change really, but most people will want a sock change if they come down the scree under Rakehead Crag. I did it on Saturday and was forcibly reminded just how it fills your shoes with crap.

On a serious note though, think carefully about whether you *really* want to be changing into road shoes at Newlands as seems to be the norm. I had Helen standing by the fell gate at the bottom of High Snab Bank with a comfy chair and a pair of cushioned road shoes and wish I hadn't bothered, because it was bloody agony underfoot from then on. It was the only time on the entire round where I lost any significant time and it was purely because it felt like my feet were being hit with sledgehammers. So why didn't it feel like that in my Mudclaws?

I have a theory - and it's purely conjecture - that after than amount of time in the same shoes, your feet "mould" to the shape and any change in contour or support will have a fairly profound effect. Something happened anyway, I reckon I would have been better sticking to fell shoes all the way to the Moot Hall. Let's face it, most people will not be moving fast and I wouldn't have cared about wearing my studs down at that point!
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn P View Post
    I could have done without the Dunmail change really, but most people will want a sock change if they come down the scree under Rakehead Crag. I did it on Saturday and was forcibly reminded just how it fills your shoes with crap.
    Never had a problem with this, either recceing or on the round. If you start the descent keeping left you can scramble down avoiding the scree, then cross the scree to take the grass slope to the right. A lot better than the scree, less tiring, & no stones in your shoes.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club