Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Campervan advice

Campervan advice

I'm thinking of buying, but I'm starting from a position of almost total ignorance.

I've got about £5,000-6,000 to spend and looking around the internet, VW T4s have caught my eye - I suppose I'd be looking at about a 8 to 10-year-old one for that price, depending on mileage.

Whatever the make/model, I think I'd prefer a diesel to petrol. And a raised roof would be handy. 4-berth.

My brother keeps telling me to look at Transits. And then there's conversions, some of which look as good as the real thing ... but I'd just be a bit more nervous about telling good work from bad with those.

Any tips on how I might narrow down the choice?

I am a bit limited in going to look at stuff as I don't even have a car at the moment!

Re: Campervan advice

You get more for your money with a home conversion, but they tend to be a bit more functional than smart. Although for running and biking this can be seen as a plus point.

Don't overlook the mechanics of the vehicle. Older vans hold their value but it's all in the conversion, make sure the engine and running gear are sound as well.
    The 'base vehicle' also affects the value so a ford or fiat chassis will go for a bit less than a VW or a merc

I think for about 5K the best bet would be a nice home conversion from a enthusiast who has a new project.

Whatever you get, get it serviced and the gas work checked before you use it in anger just to be on the safe side.

Master

Take a look here :- http://www.club80-90.co.uk/ Register yourself and ask all the questions you like, going through the site qwill give you a good insight to owning a classic T3 Campervan and what to look out for. (there is a nice Reimo Conversion for around 5 Grand in the vehicles for sale section, not mine nor do i have any connection with it).

If you do choose a T3 try to get one that has been converted to run on LPG, or budget in the conversion cost when buying as at 55-60p a ltr LPG is half the price of Diesel or petrol and makes therunning costs more practical, if you need a conversion doing then then Steve at Gasure is your man http://www.gasure.co.uk/contact.htm (again no connection just a very satisfied customer.

Another online VW community covering T3, T4, and T5 another mine of information.

The Classic VW scene is pretty similiar to the Fellrunning community i.e. we share a common interest and are ready to help one another, Good Luck with whatever you choose.
    Last edited by JohnK; 20-05-2010 at 11:17 AM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

thanks facewest-stu and JohnK

John: I wasn't particularly looking at a 'classic' VW. I'd assumed that you'd be paying a premium for anything that is considered classic and would rather spend my cash on something modern and functional - hence, T4 - is that right?

Boring, I know, but sensible i think as it's my first foray into owning a CV?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    thanks facewest-stu and JohnK

John: I wasn't particularly looking at a 'classic' VW. I'd assumed that you'd be paying a premium for anything that is considered classic and would rather spend my cash on something modern and functional - hence, T4 - is that right?

Boring, I know, but sensible i think as it's my first foray into owning a CV?

That was always my assumption but I love Classic vehicles which in my opinion are better built than modern ones, particulary the interiors of campervans, the modern chipboard and plastic ones look nice for a while but really do not stand the test of time IMO.

Plus the classic vehicle for me is better because the mechanics are far simpler which means I can do most things myself rather than pay somebody else upwards of £80 an hour to do it for me, TBH i prefer doing all my own maintainance rather than trust a modern day auto technicians that understand black boxes and Diagnostic readouts, rather than the real nut`s and bolts it makes me feel a little more confident that all is right on my vehicle.

All that said I am biased because as i say I like classic vehicles with character, rather than the everyday run of the mill modern vehicle with built in obsolescence.

I brought my T3 quite a few years back with the intention of keeping it real long term, and it is now worth more than i Paid for it and that includes factoring in the maintainance costs over the years, I am not sure that that would be the case if i had spent 3 or £4000 more on a more modern one.

Nowt wrong with T4s though just not my cup of tea.

By the way you are best off buying out of season when prices dip

Have fun
    Last edited by JohnK; 20-05-2010 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    By the way you are best off buying out of season when prices dip
    now that is something I hadn't considered, thanks

I guess alot depends on your timescales, existing skills (mechanics, carpentry) and space available or whether you have the motivation to pick these up and learn on the job.

If you don't mind rolling your sleeves up then sourcing a van with reasonable miles and fitting out to your spec isn't really out of the question.

As you say a T4 is probably the way to go if you have things like residuals and potential resale at the back of your mind. That said there are plenty of decent vans around its just VW have the kudos.

If the idea of a project doesn't float your boat there are plenty of decent vans around where someone has already done the hard work. Its just a case of working out what layout works for you.

For what you are talking about Ian Fitz's van advertised in sales/wanted might not be too far off the mark.

The other option would be to get yourself moved to Calderdale like the rest of us

Master

Self Build here you go http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Sel...ed=0CCsQqwQwAw

This Book is a good read and will be a good reference point http://www.diy-motorhome.co.uk/Article/book-review
    Loads more info out there.
    Again have fun
    Last edited by JohnK; 20-05-2010 at 03:10 PM.

We just bought a '96 SWB transit, High Top. All it has is stove/sink/cupboard. Table/Bed at the back, windows all around, great storage. 180,000 miles. 2.5 L diesel.

Got it for £1400. Love it. Basically its low risk, we can afford for it to be a bad buy at that price. But I think we're now sold on the van idea.

We got a transit because repairs are cheap, but there is the odd bit of rust...

thanks again everyone

yeah, I'm afraid Im not blessed with many practical skills and while a project does appeal and I'd like to learn all that, I think relaistically I'd be best off getting something that didn't require too many man-hours

but I have heard that professional conversions are often the best-value secondhand buys?