Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Campervan advice

Re: Campervan advice

ta Grump I shall take a look

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    I'm thinking of buying, but I'm starting from a position of almost total ignorance.

I've got about £5,000-6,000 to spend and looking around the internet, VW T4s have caught my eye - I suppose I'd be looking at about a 8 to 10-year-old one for that price, depending on mileage.

Whatever the make/model, I think I'd prefer a diesel to petrol. And a raised roof would be handy. 4-berth.

My brother keeps telling me to look at Transits. And then there's conversions, some of which look as good as the real thing ... but I'd just be a bit more nervous about telling good work from bad with those.

Any tips on how I might narrow down the choice?

I am a bit limited in going to look at stuff as I don't even have a car at the moment!

My campervan - a VW T4 hightop is for sale for £5000 in the sale forum. http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...r-van-for-sale

my contact details are there too. You are welcome to get in touch or come to see it anytime for a chat not the hard sell!

Normanton, Wakefield. West Riding of Yorkshire

My 'next-door-but-one' neighbours have a T5 (VW, not Volvo, & I presume it's the 130BHP version. but the 174?)

It's not the camper, just the 8-seater, but it is HUGE inside.
    Even the 3rd row of seats are very good (if a bit 'choppy', as they're over the axle), & the load-space is still vast (& extremely tall)

It's well appointed, with Air-con to both rear benches, good lighting, reasonable performance for its size.

I've had a lift in it a couple of times down to the 'Trunces', as they run them too, & it makes a damn good support-vehicle

I guess the camper version will be superb

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrump View Post
    Bit of a tangent, but have you looked at these sort of options.

Click on pics to open/enlarge
    I saw one of the Tabner(?) equivilants (but a twin-axle!!) a few years ago in Leyburn, & it looked very good indeed

Digressing, whilst on the 'BWSOW' front;
    We previously had a Elddis Crusader Storm, before SWMBO px'd it for a 'Posh Porta-Cabin' (static caravan), & that was a lovely van - easy to two, a doddle to reverse within inches of where it needed to be

And a 'theft-magnet', it was targetted, & had both wheel-clamps & the hitch-lock 'gas-axed' off - with a Transit about to be coupled up when they were disturbed by the storage area owner

So, whatever you get, make sure it's secure

Edit; Friday 21st @ 10:55

Next-door-but-ones 'T' I mentioned above is badged as a 'T30', whatever that means??
    (does it refer to being a 3.0litre?)
    Last edited by RichardAThackeray; 21-05-2010 at 10:57 AM.
    Generally to be found plodding along with 'www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk'

Master and MR

I personally wouldnt buy a camper. I prefer a van.

I have dipped my toe into the Campervan arena & after a near miss with a 'clocked' Merc Vito I have bought a 1999 VW T4 Hi-Top with 63K on the clock, 1 owner & full service history down to receipts for bulbs! A local 2 man operation who have done several for some local fell runners, are kitting it out over the next couple of weeks. 1st outing should be Reeth Gala Show & BOFRA race on Aug bank holiday Monday with family in tow (in comfort!).

Quote Originally Posted by Ady In Accy View Post
    I have dipped my toe into the Campervan arena & after a near miss with a 'clocked' Merc Vito I have bought a 1999 VW T4 Hi-Top with 63K on the clock, 1 owner & full service history down to receipts for bulbs! A local 2 man operation who have done several for some local fell runners, are kitting it out over the next couple of weeks. 1st outing should be Reeth Gala Show & BOFRA race on Aug bank holiday Monday with family in tow (in comfort!).
    How did you find out the Merc was 'clocked' Ady ?

Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    How did you find out the Merc was 'clocked' Ady ?
    It flagged up when the MOT was done - mileages on previous MOT's were considerably more that what was currently showing on the clock.

Quote Originally Posted by Ady In Accy View Post
    It flagged up when the MOT was done - mileages on previous MOT's were considerably more that what was currently showing on the clock.
    Can't trust anyone these days :thunbdown: Including previous mileage on the MOT is a great idea, especially in your particular case but I suppose if you clocked it every year it wouldn't pick that up.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    Can't trust anyone these days :thunbdown: Including previous mileage on the MOT is a great idea, especially in your particular case but I suppose if you clocked it every year it wouldn't pick that up.
    Buggers aren't they? I got a letter from the DVLC the other day asking me to verify the mileage of the car I sold about 18 months back, seems the bloke I sold it too has moved it on. I don't think anything dodgy is going on, just that they're trying to tighten up on things like clocking.

I am definitely in the market for a campervan and am wondering whether to just find a donor vehicle and have it converted or try and buy one off-season as has been suggested here.

Ady - you'll let us know how you get on with yours won't you?
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

thackley,near canal/river and old emmerdale

i bought a 1983 vw t25 last year,
    i bought it to see if campervanning was for me without having to pay a large amount of money only for it to be sat on the drive.
    it had a big history file,rebuilt engine,rebuilt brakes and all the body work was sorted,it also had a propane heater installed.
    it cost me £3300,he wanted £4200.
    it was february and he needed the money.
    when i got it i checked out you tube and various forums and gave it a full service and flushed the radiator,easy peasey.
    i bought a good quality awning that more than doubles the available space
    i have used it for camping 9 times so far this year for various tri's as well as just for long weekends away.
    i also use it for doing the odd swim,long run or bike ride,setting it up as a base.
    its great,i am happy to keep it for a few more years as it needs nothing and does what i want it to do
    in a few years i may upgrade to newer van to match my retirement.
    Last edited by dylan; 15-08-2013 at 09:45 AM. Reason: spelling