Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Coniston gullies

Re: Coniston gullies

It was great to see so many junior runners really enjoying the sport at Coniston. It was a real family day out with runners taking part from 6 years of age to 67. My 14 year old who came along to watch her sister run, now wants to start fell racing as she has seen that at this level it is the taking part that counts and that everyone gets a cheer when they finish.

As was mentioned in the recent articles in the Fellrunner magazine, both the FRA and Bofra can learn from each other and the more different type of races on offer the better. It is great that so many people are prepared to give up their time to put on the races for our juniors.

I would ask why two of the junior FRA championship races are on Bank Holiday weekends and with so many great venues and races available why that the majority of this years and last years races are not the most inspiring for juniors and adults alike. Great race venues in inspiring places will ensure our young runners will want to take part in the sport for longer and the parents will want to take them.

Accepting that 'inspiring' is a subjective personal view, what is your definition? Do you have some examples of great venues and races? What is the drawback of Bank Holiday Monday for races? Feedback is useful.

The FRA Championship races are selected from what is available in the calendar, subject to some considerations such as geographical spread, capacity for 200+ runners and 6 races, nature of associated senior race. These factors can be quite limiting, so there are not necessarily that many to choose from. Obviously, the organiser also has to agree to put on a championship round, usually for 3 years, as the races are chosen on a rolling basis.
    Going downhill fast - until I fell over

Quote Originally Posted by FellJunior View Post
    Accepting that 'inspiring' is a subjective personal view, what is your definition? Do you have some examples of great venues and races? What is the drawback of Bank Holiday Monday for races? Feedback is useful.
    Alva, Wasdale, Coniston, Kettlewell and Hawkswick to name a few.

OK, so you've picked your venues. Fair enough. I'd have the races elsewhere, as I'm sure many others would, but I believe it's not making the most of the venues chosen which is another big problem. For example, why not let the u18s run to the summit of Catbells at AnniWaltz?

At Coniston on Sunday, had the FRA chosen that as a venue, I doubt the courses would have taken in anywhere near as much fell or mountainous terrain.
    Last edited by WillMarsh; 25-05-2010 at 11:33 AM.
    Up the mighty Wharfedale 'arriers!

Quote Originally Posted by Gazmuz View Post
    with so many great venues and races available why that the majority of this years and last years races are not the most inspiring for juniors and adults alike. Great race venues in inspiring places will ensure our young runners will want to take part in the sport for longer and the parents will want to take them.
    Good point. Speaking on behalf of the majority. When I'm planning a BOFRA race, my Dad asks 'where are you running.' It could be Coniston, or Alva, or Wasdale. It appeals to him - 'I'll take you if you need a lift.' I'm afraid FRA venues do not appeal anywhere near as much. I'm sure the same affect is enforced upon many others.

The FRA needs to learn from BOFRA. We don't want BOFRA learning from the FRA or half the races will be 'too dangerous' or whatever. BOFRA leads us to where the Mountains are. Can't the FRA follow?

Most familes plan weekends away at Bank holidays and particulary half term week. For those who are fortunate to live in the lakes it is not very appealing to go to Hebden Bridge or Macclesfield on a bank holiday weekend, particulary if not all the family are runners. It takes a lot of commitment to travel from Cockermouth to Cheshire or Yorkshire.

The main problem seems to me that there are not enough races for our juniors in the calender. In the younger age groups by the time the runners get to the fell it is time to turn around and go back again.

Inspring is subjective, but a beautiful mountain venue, with interesting fell terrain in a lakeland or dales setting is surely more inspiring than a park in Lancashire!!! Views, and a location that appeals to all the family runners and non runners alike. This year the venues seem to favour those who live south of Lancaster with good xc runners.

Perhaps a solution would be to get clubs to take on the organisation of a junior championship race, which has been designed particulary for juniors, where the majority of the course is on the fell and includes those things that make fell running so appealing, steep ascents, technical ground and a chance for the good descenders a chance to make up time.
    Last edited by Gazmuz; 25-05-2010 at 11:59 AM. Reason: spelling

As I understand it, Gazmuz's question referred to FRA championship races.
    The FRA are not going to choose BOFRA races for their championship, particularly one in Scotland!
    It is up to the race organiser to set each course, not the FRA.
    Therefore, it is up to Wynn and Steve whether U18s go to the summit of Catbells at AW.
    Similarly, the Coniston race would not be shortened by the FRA, not that it would ever be selected.
    As CCR has observed, we don't need another lap of 'which is best, what makes a good race, etc', as the two organisations have different objectives and roles.
    Choose what suits, and enjoy yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazmuz View Post
    Perhaps a solution would be to get clubs to take on the organisation of a junior championship race, which has been designed particulary for juniors, where the majority of the course is on the fell and includes those things that make fell running so appealing, steep ascents, technical ground and a chance for the good descenders a chance to make up time.
    Which is what happens now.
    The FRA do not organise the races, but select them from what is on offer from clubs and individuals. The source of any improvement and more junior races surely lies with them, perhaps encouraged by the FRA.

Quote Originally Posted by WillMarsh View Post
    Good point. Speaking on behalf of the majority.

The FRA needs to learn from BOFRA. We don't want BOFRA learning from the FRA or half the races will be 'too dangerous' or whatever. BOFRA leads us to where the Mountains are. Can't the FRA follow?
    Will, as self-appointed spokesman for the majority, can you explain where this concept of 'too dangerous' comes from. I've seen it stated as the reason Ambleside is not being held this year, which is not what I understood from the organiser.
    So you want the FRA to be a clone of BOFRA - why? They have different objectives and roles.
    We have known for years that BOFRA put on superb junior races. Is that not sufficient?

Quote Originally Posted by FellJunior View Post
    Will, as self-appointed spokesman for the majority, can you explain where this concept of 'too dangerous' comes from. I've seen it stated as the reason Ambleside is not being held this year, which is not what I understood from the organiser.
    So you want the FRA to be a clone of BOFRA - why? They have different objectives and roles.
    We have known for years that BOFRA put on superb junior races. Is that not sufficient?
    I recall being told a certain WP was quoted as to saying 'it's too dangerous.'
    I never tire of doing the same BOFRA course - I have been in the u17s 3 years and done most of the courses 3 times. These races need to be memorable - what part of doing two laps of a Moor (no offence) is memorable? I remember fell races for great scenery, tough climbs, belting descents and good banter/atmosphere. All of these ingredients are missing for me.
    Still, those who enjoy FRA races can continue to attend - I don't have a problem with that. All I can say is they're going to have a shock when they get into the seniors and end up running over Lakeland terrain etc.

Quote Originally Posted by WillMarsh View Post
    I recall being told a certain WP was quoted as to saying 'it's too dangerous.'
    Which I hope you will understand is an individual expressing an opinion, and little to do with why the race is not being run this year.
    I think you will find very few juniors compete in only the six championship races, so the terrain of senior races shouldn't come as a total shock. They should be trying BOFRA races, and O16 and O18 races as well.