Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Coniston gullies

Re: Coniston gullies

Clubs agree to put on junior championship races, but normally these are just shortened versions of the senior races and often the juniors run on the worst bits, normally a lane or track, a little bit of fell and then back down. How much better the Anniversary Wa would have been, if the juniors had started at the end of the lane and more of the race had have been run on the fell.

It is the job of the FRA do do everything it can to encourage young runners to take up fell running and try and keep them in the sport. I would suggest that perhaps the present junior championship races do not fulfill this objective.

My daughter has decided championship race or no championship race she doesn't want to run Coiners or Darwen again. She simply didn't like the courses, the locations and in Darwen's case two thirds of the race on a track. As with adults, young peole will vote with their walshes. Give them great courses in good locations and they are more likely to want to become life long fell runners.

She doesn't care about FRA, Bofra or UKA she just wants to run and have a great time doing so. If there are not enough good junior courses available at present then the FRA should encourage clubs to design some. Look at the great work of Jon Richardson at Sedbergh, who has created some great courses in the last few years and the great variation in Kendal Winter league races.

I agree; more imagination is required, when planning junior courses. The tendency to use the same start and finish as for the seniors, while convenient undoubtedly leads to the weaknesses you describe. There have been notable exceptions over the years. 3 Shires springs to mind for example. As does Sedbergh, when run from Howgill Lane.
    The recent trend of junior races only (or very minor senior race) is starting to break this link with the associated senior race, and give organisers more freedom to focus on the junior races. I think this will gradually improve the suitability of races available for selection. I look forward to seeing next year's choices.
    Going downhill fast - until I fell over

Its always interesting reading comments howevere many times they come up. Regarding organising of races and speaking as a race organiser its really time some folk put up or shut up in the nicest possible way. If the races that are in the calender arent to your liking organise one and show us how its done. Too many folk just want to take and expect that somehow each race has been put on specifically for them and its not what they wanted. With anything from 20 to 200 juniors taking part its always going to be a broad attempt at making it the best for everyone. Some folk arent going to like it. Hey ho. I can see faults in my own races and can see faults in others but knowing the amount of work that goes inot organising them i am not about to start poking at other races. If you dont like them dont do them (again). As for 2 races on B/H you only have to do 4 for the champs.
    Speaking as someone living in Hebden Bridge its not always that much fun heading to the Lakes on a busy B/H weekend either there is always going to be travel involved be grateful for the chance to take in new places.
    Personally I thought Ambleside was a great race last year and absolute classic that should be in all the time but as I understand it the organiser put it on as a favour to Lecky and didnt want to do it again. The college has now closed and the venue sold off. Thats just another version of why its not on no doubt there are lots of others some linking to H and S conspriacy theories more than others. I would like to see High Rigg (I think) back in the series as that was great.
    FJ is right lots of juniors are running in both series and are experiencing fells (whatever your working definition of those is) and will be ready to take on tougher longer stuff if they stick with the sport.
    Time I think to stop the criticising and to celebrate the diversity that the entire fell running community provides. Its a lot nicer way to be that just sniping away
    "Moors are a stage for the performance of heaven"

Quote Originally Posted by FellJunior View Post
    Which is what happens now.
    The FRA do not organise the races, but select them from what is on offer from clubs and individuals. The source of any improvement and more junior races surely lies with them, perhaps encouraged by the FRA.
    Which ever club organises Darwen gala race certainly do not understand the principle of FELL running, no where in the race is there any change in terrain or technical descending or steep climbing. As CCR says Ambleside was a belting course as was High rigg, surely the Ambleside race can be run from just a different venue ?.
    I ran and ran until my Muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid, ....And then i ran some more.

And off we go again on yet another lap of the same old topic, with the same poor reasoning and vast assumptions.
    So now there is a principle of fell running apparently. 4 from 6 to count for the championship, so don't enter Darwen.
    The use of High Rigg has been explained before; it requires the generous hospitality of the farmer.
    Another venue (and organiser don't forget) for Ambleside that has amenities for 200+ runners? Get real.
    As CCR observes; let's see the detractors organise a successful junior race.

Quote Originally Posted by FellJunior View Post
    And off we go again on yet another lap of the same old topic, with the same poor reasoning and vast assumptions.
    So now there is a principle of fell running apparently. 4 from 6 to count for the championship, so don't enter Darwen.
    The use of High Rigg has been explained before; it requires the generous hospitality of the farmer.
    Another venue (and organiser don't forget) for Ambleside that has amenities for 200+ runners? Get real.
    As CCR observes; let's see the detractors organise a successful junior race.
    Dont worry i wont be attending as many other i know wont be,.. Leave it for the faster road runners
    I ran and ran until my Muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid, ....And then i ran some more.

What a shame that a thread that started off with praise and thanks for a particular race has degenerated into a classic "if you don't like this or that then push off and organise your own". Come on folks, this is after all..

a) a thread in the junior forum (and I don't know of ANY races organised by a junior) and

b) surely very useful feedback from some of the juniors who actually run the races.

Anyway, what do I know...I'm neither a junior (worse luck ) or a race organiser so my observations can clearly be shot to bits!
    ...there's a hill nearby missing its fool...

Stick, you are correct. It was nice to see Hemster enjoyed his race.
    Unfortunately, there is a lot of history to the theme that this thread again has turned into. Ideas, feedback, and enthusiasm are of course welcome if not essential, and it is an opportunity for everyone to learn. But we are going over the same ground again (no pun intended), where imho the same responses still stand. Hence, I suspect the elements of frustration in posts.
    There is only so much that can be achieved with the available resources, and we are where we are, which is considerably further on from 10 to 15 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazmuz View Post

the locations and in Darwen's case two thirds of the race on a track.
    I would probably say more like <90%

Quote Originally Posted by scott baistow 93 View Post
    Dont worry i wont be attending as many other i know wont be,.. Leave it for the faster road runners
    I second that, i'll be at burnsall classic then, or anywhere but Darwen.