Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pete Doyle for FRA Commitee.

Pete Doyle for FRA Commitee.

I've spent many a good time having banter with Pete. Jokes aside however he seems to know what the majority of us juniors want to see in our Championships.
    He's no stranger to the sport having brought Chris and Tom up, who have represented the country and run the fells as juniors as good as any of us. He has probably been around longer to see what Junior Fell Running is about than any of us lot so why not have an experienced character like him on the Commitee?
    Up the mighty Wharfedale 'arriers!

Re: Pete Doyle for FRA Commite

Quote Originally Posted by WillMarsh View Post
    I've spent many a good time having banter with Pete. Jokes aside however he seems to know what the majority of us juniors want to see in our Championships.
    He's no stranger to the sport having brought Chris and Tom up, who have represented the country and run the fells as juniors as good as any of us. He has probably been around longer to see what Junior Fell Running is about than any of us lot so why not have an experienced character like him on the Commitee?
    Yeah this comment has really made a point. Pete knows lot about Junior fell running as he is close with lots of the Juniors at Helmhill, his son Tom being one of the members. He is a great character and really think he could have some great imput to help put together some REAL fell races.
    I ran and ran until my Muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid, ....And then i ran some more.

Quote Originally Posted by scott baistow 93 View Post
    Yeah this comment has really made a point. Pete knows lot about Junior fell running as he is close with lots of the Juniors at Helmhill, his son Tom being one of the members. He is a great character and really think he could have some great imput to help put together some REAL fell races.
    Yeah exactly my thoughts. There would be no trail/tarmac running or people asking, 'where's the bracken and scree?' I think the majority of us want to actually run on the fells as the name suggests. We want to experience the true fells of Britain - rugged, wild, rough and expansive.
    Up the mighty Wharfedale 'arriers!

Quote Originally Posted by WillMarsh View Post
    Yeah exactly my thoughts. There would be no trail/tarmac running or people asking, 'where's the bracken and scree?' I think the majority of us want to actually run on the fells as the name suggests. We want to experience the true fells of Britain - rugged, wild, rough and expansive.
    Instead of flat,curcuited runs when a good run does occur ie Ambleside it just gets cancelled anyway mate from all the track and road runners having bad runs as its to steep.
    I ran and ran until my Muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid, ....And then i ran some more.

Yeah i agree would be a good choice. And ambleside that was a good race, cancelling it because it's too dangerous is stupid, a fell race is meant to contain various terrain, rocky decents being one of them. Whereas darwen gala has no variation in terrain, and no fell running, just a trail race!

Quote Originally Posted by FellRunner1 View Post
    And ambleside that was a good race, cancelling it because it's too dangerous is stupid
    So is persisting with mis-information, that has been dealt with elsewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clash City Rocker View Post
    (From the Coniston Gullies thread)
    Personally I thought Ambleside was a great race last year and absolute classic that should be in all the time but as I understand it the organiser put it on as a favour to Lecky and didnt want to do it again. The college has now closed and the venue sold off.
    Going downhill fast - until I fell over

Quote Originally Posted by FellJunior View Post
    So is persisting with mis-information, that has been dealt with elsewhere.
    If you want to be picky, i posted that point BEFORE CCR posted his, and thats the first i'v heard of that reason it's not been run. So in the words of many seniors on here 'do your research before making a point of it.' Thanks.

Yes you are quite correct chronologically, but this view, despite being outlandish, has been circulating for some time and not only on the forum. I simply quote a recent succinct rebuttal for general consumption.
    Going downhill fast - until I fell over

I suspect Peter Doyle would be good on a committee too, but have you asked him if he wants to do it? Are you talking Junior or Main?

If he has agreed and wants to be on the main one, get him nominated for the next FRA AGM, then turn up and vote him in - it's quite easy.

If Junior, then get him to ask me.

By the way, if people really don't like the way the races have been selected or the juniors are run, get yourselves nominated for the, soon to be vacant, Junior Coordinator role and we might have an interesting opportunity for a contested election at the next AGM. If you get elected, you can then organise things as you like.

As for the Ambleside race, I asked for this race to be put on as a favour to me. The organiser declined to put the race on again this year, so it stopped. I had NO problems with the severity of the race. I hope this statement is clear enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Lecky View Post
    I suspect Peter Doyle would be good on a committee too, but have you asked him if he wants to do it? Are you talking Junior or Main?

If he has agreed and wants to be on the main one, get him nominated for the next FRA AGM, then turn up and vote him in - it's quite easy.

If Junior, then get him to ask me.

By the way, if people really don't like the way the races have been selected or the juniors are run, get yourselves nominated for the, soon to be vacant, Junior Coordinator role and we might have an interesting opportunity for a contested election at the next AGM. If you get elected, you can then organise things as you like.

As for the Ambleside race, I asked for this race to be put on as a favour to me. The organiser declined to put the race on again this year, so it stopped. I had NO problems with the severity of the race. I hope this statement is clear enough?
    I hope it's clear as well Lecky.

Can I just say on behalf of the bulk of the FRA Jnr contingent that you have done a super job. The series has taken great leaps forward on most fronts since your involvement and I think evidence of that is the numbers of athletes that turn up.
    I have to add that the spectators have also thoroughly enjoyed it.

Shuttlingsloe has shown that with patience a race can develop. I would say that it's progressed from a 5/10 to a 8/10 and then to a 9/10 this year. If this is to be it's last year for a while, they can stand down with satisfaction.

I hope that whoever does take it on will keep the series going in a similar way. Varied courses, with a good geographical spread, that give juniors of all ages a real feel for the variety of terrain that is out there.

But thanks Lecky for a job well done - and I hope we still see you around next year.