Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Windermere Marathon

Re: Windermere Marathon

Fantastic day in the lakes. The first time Brathay Trust had organised a marathon and what a fantastic job they did too. Plenty of water stations, marshals on every side junction, chip timing, excellent prizelist, well organized parking and much more.

Much more hilly than I was expecting though, and it's a while now since my long FLM training runs which meant I struggled from 20 miles to home. However, I managed to reel in a couple of fast starting strugglers in the last couple of miles to get 4th.

How d'you get on slowcoach? Enjoy it?

Well done Bestathlete.

What were the times like in comparison to a flat marathon?

I was the guy standing and clapping on the dry-stone wall on the right going up the first hill - an idyllic start location but tough-going I bet.

Not many under 3hrs I should imagine?

MH

bliddy ell Well done BA!

must be feeling pretty good now after london!

Brilliant!

So where are some results?

Haven't see the results, but one of the lads I run with at lunchtime did it as his first marathon and came 9th overall in 3:02, 2nd MV40. The winner was about 2:45 ish. ~ 965 starters. He thought it was mostly very well organised but needed a marshall on that side street in Windermere that cuts the corner, he batted round it and nearly ended up on a car bonnet.
    Biriani for endurance, pathia for speed.

Quote Originally Posted by bestathlete View Post
    I managed to reel in a couple of fast starting strugglers in the last couple of miles to get 4th.

How d'you get on slowcoach? Enjoy it?
    Well done BA, good result. I agree with all your comments on the organisation, a great day out in a lovely location and with Wilf's being there what more could one ask for.

Not seen any results yet but I'll be closer to 400th I expect. The last 6 miles were slow and painful. Found it much harder than the 3P's - partly 'cos I didn't drink enough and partly 'cos I hate running on road. Glad I did it but I think I'll limit my road excursions to 10K in future.

Yeah, winner was 2:47, he paced himself very well as he started slower than I did.
    Marshallling in Bowness on Windermere was a bit light - I had to manhandle a small oriental woman out of my way - god knows what it was like when the main field started coming through thick and fast.

As regards comparison to a flatter marathon, I can report that yesterday I ran (at 6:44 per mile pace) at a average pulse of 166 and that on a 10mile training run recently I ran at 164 average pulse which yielded 6:06 pace.
    So based on that alone you can say 30 - 40 seconds a mile slower which is 13-15 minutes overall.
    However I can also say that given better preparation (ie NOT running some of the FLM 4 weeks ago and having my last decent long run 7 weeks ago) I would have ran at least a couple of minutes faster.

So I reckon definitly 10 minutes.

I will be training for a sub 2:40 clocking in Dublin in October so some work to do I think.

Quote Originally Posted by slowcoach View Post
    Not seen any results yet but I'll be closer to 400th I expect. The last 6 miles were slow and painful. Found it much harder than the 3P's - partly 'cos I didn't drink enough and partly 'cos I hate running on road. Glad I did it but I think I'll limit my road excursions to 10K in future.
    Some of the road surfaces were a bit rough I thought - OK on fell terrain but not ideal on unforgiving tarmac. What about that wooden bridge half a mile from the finish? OK going up it but coming down the other side with the 90degree turn I thought I was gonna end up in the hedge - would have been better to stick to the road I think (as it was only 100metres of path anyway).

You won't be doing it again then (if they have it)? I will consider it but hopefully as a long jog following a decent London or Boston next April.

Any sign of any results yet?