Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pain under below knee &

pain under below knee &

Hi,

I have a pain below my knee (which also looks a little swollen).

I also have a throbbing ache were my the front of my thigh meets my hip/groin (this is the other leg).

I'm obviously resting them at the moment & taking ibuprofen & glucosamine but is there anything else I can do to speed up recovery?

should I ice my knee?

thanks
    Craig.

Re: pain under below knee &

Quote Originally Posted by SEFTON View Post
    should I ice my knee?
    Yes. I would also do the following stretches, as it is likely (not definitely) caused by a tight IT band.

I would probably also invest in a foam roller so you can use it to stretch / massage your IT band:

That last picutre shows the lady having one foot on the ground. You get alot more pressure (pain) out of having both legs lined together with no feet touching the ground

I'm presuming this is for the thigh/hip pain & not the knee?

No, its for the knee. The IT band runs down the side of your leg and connects on the outside of your knee. Thats what the lady is stretching. Its often overlooked - stretching it out, particularly post-run can be very important. Several posters on the forum have had/are having nasty ITB related injuries. It can be easy to get and difficult to shift.

That said, pain below your knee doesn't necessarily mean its ITB related. My understanding is that an ITB injury manifests itself in pain on the outside of the knee, not underneath.

Knees are complex bits of kit and it could be one of a number of things - cartilage, muscular, skeletal - its boring advice and a bit of a default opinion I'm afraid, but if its causing you grief you should really get it checked out professionally.
    Last edited by simgreen78; 07-06-2010 at 02:15 PM. Reason: anatomical issues...
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

I'm presuming this is for the thigh/hip pain & not the knee?
    The iliotibial band runs from your hip to the knee on the outsite.

When it gets really tight the pain can occur anywhere on the IT band really, often ranging from horrendous pain in the knee like a screw driver is being rammed in, or further up around the hip.

Hi,

it sound a lot like jumpers knee. its felt slap bang in the middle of the tendon below the knee.

however the sides of my knees do get sore after a race or long training session.

Quote Originally Posted by simgreen78 View Post
    That said, pain below your knee doesn't necessarily mean its ITB related. My understanding is that an ITB injury manifests itself in pain on the outside of the knee, not underneath.
    It can manifest itself under the knee as well; I've had both in my time and both caused by a tight IT band. The IT band actually attaches to the tibia just below the knee

Hi,

it sound a lot like jumpers knee. its felt slap bang in the middle of the tendon below the knee.

however the sides of my knees do get sore after a race or long training session.
    Treat the IT band but maybe get a sports massage to see if you can loosen your IT band and quad muscles as well. When I had pain below my knee like yours, I also strengthened the area around it by standing on one leg and doing one legged squats which helped over time - make sure you do both legs though.
    Last edited by TheHeathens; 07-06-2010 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Al Fowler View Post
    That last picutre shows the lady having one foot on the ground. You get alot more pressure (pain) out of having both legs lined together with no feet touching the ground
    Yeah, but it is a woman!

Hi,

It could well be that. Do the one legged squat things that I mentioned above but go up and down slowly so you're working your quads whilst they are lengthening (working eccentrically).

No harm in trying to loosen your IT band up even if it's not the immediate cause of the pain below your kneecap